One third of adults are mobile phone gamers

By Emil
Mar 1, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. The mobile games sector is growing quickly, according to a 2010 survey conducted by Information Solutions Group and released by PopCap Games. 33.6 percent of the 2,425 respondents (in the US and the UK) said they have played a game on a mobile phone in the last month. This qualifies them as "mobile phone gamers" for the purposes of the survey, and nearly a quarter (24.6 percent) have played in the past week, qualifying them as "avid mobile phone gamers."

Read the whole story
  2. mario

mario Ex-TS Developer Posts: 399   +17

And somewhere I recently read that mobile gaming from phones is beating the crap out of dedicated mobile gaming devices. It should come to no surprise really.
  3. Emin3nce

Emin3nce Newcomer, in training Posts: 129

One third of adults are mobile phone gamers... You make it sound like these people are "Gamers" but in reality, any bored adult presented with a shiny mind-numbingly simple app for the iphone falls into this category, and shouldn't be confused with the "Gamer" subculture.
  4. KG363

KG363 TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 523   +9

It's almost the same as calling a scrabble player a gamer. It's technically a game, but it just shouldn't count.

The statistics don't really surprise me those. Great way to pass time.
  5. avoidz

avoidz TechSpot Maniac Posts: 452   +53

So are players of Solitaire in office hours also considered "gamers"? Mobile games are generally just time-wasters. Electronic crosswords to pass the minutes.
  6. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,013   +220

and just think - - - they paid big bucks to get that smartphone only to play Solitaire and consume wireless bandwidth. :eek: :blackeye:
  7. Lokalaskurar

Lokalaskurar TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 616

Great that someone finally gets it. I personally get the same feeling everyone starts to wafer out all the new goods, for instance; games that will blow your mind away in new eye-popping 3D! Go buy it, Dumbledore commands you.

Although I'm pretty glad that Americans even finds the time to spend some time having fun on their cellular phones. Grownups in this country tends to get their fingers slapped hard when playing, even if it's once a month. Yikes...

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.