One Touch backups, maxtor alternatives?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sethbest

I am working on setting up a backup system at my parents' office, and short of setting up mirrored RAID1 arrays on all the computers I suggested external drive backups. They deal with many important documents, but no large files, all the computers in their office, still running xp, only use between 7 -15 gb of hardrive space.

To make it as simple as possible to backup their system often i suggested One Touch enclosures, that I have worked with, so they wouldnt have to worry about software, and could just press the button once a week. Looking to buy the drives though I have read that the failure rate of maxtors in external enclosures is very high right now (i personaly have not have any maxtor's fail, just handfuls of dead seagates) and I am not farmiliar with any other external drives that have the "one touch" type system.

Is there an alternative in this area, enclosures wtih the button that can automaticaly backup the drives, and if not can somone suggest a software that works well that runs automaticaly so they won't have to worry about it?

Any suggestions as to dependable drives in the 120-350 range and good enclosures are also appreciated.

I second the One Touch approach. I got a 650gb and it's a delight.

I also got a copy of Acrons True Image 11 and use it rather than the O.T. software,
but that's a personal choice :)

maybe I shouldn't let all the newegg bad reviews scare me. So the onetouch button can work with other backup software? Maybe I'll have to test out mine with a different drive and see how it works.

NO, I didn't say that. I prefer Acronis and run it manually or via a schedule.

VERY unlikely the One Touch button would trigger Acronis.

If you want a carefree, no thought process, just use the O.T. as is and install their
software.

I opted for more control via the Acronis, but then I have to make the choices.

well thanks for the info jobeard, i downloaded a version of acronis and ill decide if its easy enough to buy for non computer people. Business licenses are realy expensive though, never shopped for them before. Maybe the built in would be more effective overall as long as it the drive dosnt' die.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back