TechSpot

One VGA port, two LCD monitors on a laptop with a dead screen

By fluffykitten
Mar 11, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. running two monitors off one vga port on laptop,

laptop has a bad screen, so I just keep the laptop closed and run mouse keyboard and monitor with other devices and so on... I have a two lcd monitors I would like to use and extend. if you use a vga splitter, will it recognize two or run two with identical screens which would be useless.

so, laptop, one vga port and I have two monitors needing to be setup.

On my tower, my ati card, sli which has 4 dvi connectors for a quad setup, also ran a splitter off of one of one of the dvi leads to add 5 and it still saw all 5 monitors individually.

hmm what else can I add, I also have a kvm switch, just not sure how to setup everything right, I am running into problems.

1 usb bluetooth mouse
    1 usb apple pro keyboard, it works on my laptop so I like it,
    1 usb 1TB mybook
    4 active multiple monitors on desktop
    2 monitors on the laptop machine, 1 monitor only being active. (6 lcd monitors all together)
    KVM switch, 4 outputs, I only need two anyways.

audio, creative DTS-610 to get a DTS single connected to a yamaha receiver
  2. example1013

example1013 TS Enthusiast Posts: 280

If you're talking about a VGA-to-VGA splitter, I think you'll only be able to get two instances of the same screen to show up.

If you're talking about a different port that can handle more data, you might be able to get this set-up to work. I know the computers we use at work have a video output port that has an adapter that splits into two VGA ports (or two DVI ports, depending), and we use that for a dual-monitor set-up (which everyone in the office has).

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.