TechSpot

OnLive cloud-gaming comes to Vizio HDTVs, phones, tablets

By Jos
Jan 4, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. It seems Vizio left out one juicy little detail yesterday in their round of pre-CES announcements: OnLive integration. Apparently the U.S. largest HDTV vendor has inked a deal with the cloud-based gaming company to integrate its service right into their products. And we’re not talking about just HDTVs here, but Vizio’s upcoming tablet, smartphone, Blu-ray players and basically everything in their new Via product line

Read the whole story
  2. princeton

princeton TS Addict Posts: 1,716

AT&T can't handle downloading a 20mb file with all the traffic. Let alone streaming games to smartphones. I hope this is more for gaming on a wifi connection to stream.
  3. MrAnderson

MrAnderson TS Maniac Posts: 488   +10

If they keep this up with other HDTV companies, settop boxes, and dvd/bluray players they will become pretty powerful. It is really all about getting the availablitiy on the TVs. That is the way to the masses.

The controllers need to be standard PC like, with bluetooth wireless to do anything for TV... and well let other companies like logetch, niko, and madkatz make controllers so the price comes down...
  4. MrAnderson

MrAnderson TS Maniac Posts: 488   +10

@princeton... AT&T is streaming Netflix now, so they will be able to stream Game video. That is all Onlive is... streaming The video from games and sending input feedback from the user upstream to the Onlive Cloud. Im sure they will have adaptive resolutions for mobile devices so that they are not sending 1080 to our Android Phones and iPhones...
  5. gwailo247

gwailo247 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,105   +18

I guess this would be cool for a casual gamer, but I'm pretty sure that most people that are into games either have a computer or a console. And unless they're going to incorporate any special hardware into these Visio products, its just a software download away. I guess they can snag some subscribers the way that all that crapware that comes preinstalled on computers can.
  6. princeton

princeton TS Addict Posts: 1,716

Console gamers are just as casual as facebook gamers :p. Autoaim tends to lower the effort required to play a game.
  7. lawfer

lawfer TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,272   +91

Really? I thought Netflix used Wi-fi on AT&T smartphones. If it does use AT&T's 3G, then I see some future for OnLive.

Sadly, however, until their game catalog increases, and until they actually let you "own" the games, I highly doubt the gaming community will ever take it seriously.
  8. DokkRokken

DokkRokken TS Rookie Posts: 275

This should be really beneficial for both companies. Vizio gets one more 'feature,' and OnLive gets exposure in a retail environment.

Well, the gaming community takes Steam pretty seriously. But this product doesn't seem to be aimed at the hardcore 360 and PS3 crowd, given its current limitations.
  9. lawfer

lawfer TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,272   +91

Well, that's precisely because Steam lets you "own" the games. You can download them whenever and wherever you want to; OnLive gives you a "FullPlay Pass" or something along that line. You don't really have that sense of ownership.
  10. gwailo247

gwailo247 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,105   +18

I was referring to the investment of time, not skill level. =)
  11. Burty117

Burty117 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,496   +304

Also to add, on Steam you buy the game Once and thats it, it is yours, this onlive stuff is subscription based.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.