TechSpot

Only 29% of core gamers to purchase next-gen console at launch

By Shawn Knight
Mar 1, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. The latest report from research firm NPD Group reveals that just 29 percent of core gamers are planning on buying a next generation console as soon as they become available. Those aren’t exactly the sort of numbers that Microsoft and...

Read more

2. TomSEA

TomSEA TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,349   +398

Pretty meaningless survey. I "might" buy all sorts of stuff this Christmas too. Wait until the systems show up, the advertising is going full blast and kids start screaming at their parents that their best friends have one, how come they don't.

They'll sell plenty of these units, no two ways about it...

m4a4 likes this.
  3. Carlos GarPov

Carlos GarPov TS Rookie

I do agree with what TomSEA posted here. I have not been asked in this survey and I am planning to get one of these next-gen consoles.

4. This study was done in the US only pretty much. There's a big console world outside the U.S. you know.

5. jcarr11

jcarr11 TS Rookie

Definitely going to get the new xbox the second it comes out.. unless my second job falls through then I need money for food

6. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 6,982   +909

I am going to buy a next gen console if I cant build a new PC this summer

7. theBest11778

theBest11778 TS Enthusiast Posts: 151   +32

Like many people I've fallen on hard financial times recently, and considering how horrible the job market it is it makes sense that only 29% are up to drop between $400-$500 for a new toy. I've also noticed a huge increase in PC gamers, at least in the 20-30 age group. Most people realize they need a PC for work regardless, why not throw in a $150-$200 GPU, and skip consoles entirely. Considering the next gen consoles GPU power is equal to todays $150 Graphics cards... I think this might be the generation most people will skip.

8. TS-56336

TS-56336 TS Booster Posts: 578   +98

That sure as hell won't be me. I've gotten quite comfortable playing my games a year or more after launch, and saved quite a lot of money in the process.

St1ckM4n likes this.
  9. Xclusiveitalian

Xclusiveitalian TS Guru Posts: 682   +47

Probably right considering not many are going to want to dish out the most likely $500+ purchase price right away.

10. I'm buying at release, but will probably get a ps4 once the price drops. Tbh it's not even the price the problem, but rather the plethora of problems 1st generation always end up with...

11. ^ I meant im probably NOT buying at release.

12. m4a4

m4a4 TS Addict Posts: 531   +146

If I'm in a good financial spot, I might. Well... as long as they have the proper incentives and games :p

13. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 3,087   +747

I suppose I don't qualify as a 'core gamer. Although I play for an hour or two most days it's PC only and then it's only single player. I don't have any interest whatsoever in any console. I also only buy games when they hit basement bargain status apart from the GTA & Assassins Creed series.
    As alluded to earlier, it's a stupid survey.

14. Puiu

Puiu TS Addict Posts: 1,065   +99

They need to sell these consoles at around 400$. Anymore and it will not sell well this winter.

But in the end it all depends on what they will have available on lunch. Sony showed us that they will have lots of good games and I'm sure they will show more games at E3. Let's see what microsoft has.

15. windmill007

windmill007 TS Rookie Posts: 311

Pretty sad people think $400 is a good price point. I was thinking $249 or $299 max. Any more forget it.

16. davimous

davimous TS Rookie Posts: 55   +9

There are three reasons why I won't be buying right away. The first being that the consoles seam to be glitchy and break often when first released. Second, the quality of the graphics at release are hardly better than the previous generation (look at Halo 3 and then look at Halo 4). And lastly the price is to high and will come down in a year.

17. killeriii

killeriii TS Enthusiast Posts: 213   +14

Already got my next gen console. The Wii-U! :)
    Although, I do plan on buying a PS4 when it's released.
    You'd have to pay me to buy an Xbox.

18. Ill just stick with my PC, and continue to forget about consoles.

19. We deny we'll ever buy the newest toy, and then we're always the first in line when it arrives.

20. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 6,982   +909

The WiiU is disappointingly not a next gen console. it is the catchup to the 360 and PS3. It is actually weaker than both of them still

21. 9Nails

9Nails TechSpot Paladin Posts: 975   +87

I have a hard time getting excited when it comes to buying a new console. I know the games are expensive, but what really bothers me is that I'll need to buy additional controllers for the family since the accessory market is where they make up a lot of their income.

22. cmbjive

cmbjive TS Enthusiast Posts: 511   +84

I know with 100% certainty that I am getting PS4 and Xbox 720. The wife has already given me permission.

23. jackal2687

jackal2687 TS Member Posts: 70   +11

I heard a rumor that the Xbox Kinect 2.0 will be a mandatory connection to play these games and be online. I have an issue with this simply because of privacy, I don't want anyone peeking through the lens of my Xbox Kinect and spying on me. How about the microphone? That thing picks up everything!

Simply put, if either of the newest consoles require some sort of monitoring to be online, I'm out.

24. technogiant

technogiant TS Member Posts: 30   +14

Silly survey really....most core gamers are more allied to the pc....If they had surveyed the more numerous "middle ground" they would have got more promising results.

I class myself as a core gamer and would "like" to get both consoles as I don't wish to miss out on exclusive game titles, killzone, mag and the halo series to name a few. But really don't think I can justify the expense for just a handful of titles, certainly my current xbox360 has sat idle for at least the last 2 years even though I've kitted it out with the latest gadgets to enable mouse and keyboard use (xim3) which cost more than the console itself......I got wooed back to the pc by better graphics, cheaper games and no yearly xboxlive subscription.

25. Sarcasm

Sarcasm TS Enthusiast Posts: 343   +20

Lol hardcore gamers are "over the age of 9"

Because $399 and $499 is like a million bucks to them. So of COURSE they aren't planning to buy another system especially if Mom and Dad says "It already plays Call of Duty."

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.