Only Boots in Safe Mode

By scrithy
Aug 29, 2009
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I picked up 7 viruses on Thursday, tried to run a virus scan with installed Trend Micro, it froze during scan, shut down computer and since then it will only reboot in safe mode. Have tried repair, doesn't work. Apparently I never had a restore point so I can't restore it to a previous date. When I try to open my anti virus I get an error that there are no drivers. Tried 8 Step removal, but because I'm in safe mode I can't download Malwarebytes or the other program. Have installed CC cleaner and run, as well as HiJack this, but don't know what to do with that...
    Can someone help?
  2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,757   +156

Reinstall Windows fresh
  3. raybay

raybay TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 10,716   +6

I second the advice of Tmagic650...
    But you are playing with the devil if you do not have a backup plan that includes restore disks.
    I would save your existing data to an external USB drive such as your friend's hard drive installed in a Nextar 3... or other USB enclosure.
    Then, once you have saved all valuable files, you can meddle with the system.
    Beg, buy, or steal a Windows install set...
    What is the brand an model of this computer... configuration, age, etc....
    Do it right, or you may lose a friend...
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.