TechSpot

Only desktop shows on TV

By Wakenaam
Nov 12, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Friends: I installed a ATI Radeon Graphics card (X300/X550/X1050 series). I am trying to get the video display on my monitor to show also exactly on my TV. It was working OK when I had a CRT monitor. I have just replaced this with an Acer LCD monitor and now I only see the desktop on the TV. How can I get my TV to clone whatever is shown on my monitor? Windows 7. Could someone kindly walk me through the steps? Thanks for any help.
  2. St1ckM4n

St1ckM4n TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 3,454   +620

Right-click on the desktop, Screen Resolution. In the 'multiple displaus' drop-down, select 'duplicate'.

Note that you will need to be running at the same resolution to do this. So if TV and monitor don't match, one will be smaller.
  3. Wakenaam

Wakenaam Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

Stickm4n: Thanks for the reply. I did what you suggested and it worked. The only problem is that I get crappy resolution now on the monitor. Is there a way I can get around this, to provide separate resolutions to the monitor and TV? Like a graphics card which many give me the flexibility to provide different resolutions to monitor and TV? Thanks for any help.
  4. St1ckM4n

St1ckM4n TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 3,454   +620

I seem to recall that there is a software solution for this. I'll see if I can find it.

Edit: Found something. Have a play with this.
  5. Wakenaam

Wakenaam Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

Stickm4n: Thanks for the response. Will give it a try and let you know what happens. Thanks again. Cheers!

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.