Opening text files in another editor by default

Status
Not open for further replies.

matav

i am using Windows XP SP3

when you open a text file, notepad pops up
but i want the text file to open in a text editor that I specify.
that seems easy... by going to folder options and creating associations and all [yeah! i've done that]

but here's a complicated situation:

when you edit any text-content files like say .reg .txt .log .ini .inf etc etc
you know they open with notepad "by default"

but... what i really want to do is replace the file "notepad.exe" in windows directory by notepad2
[which is much much better, i've been using it for years and i just love it]
i did this too
i deleted notepad.exe from C:\WINDOWS\ and C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ and replaced it with notepad2.exe

[ofcourse by renaming notepad2.exe to notepad.exe]
now when i open a text file, the original microsoft supplied notepad.exe pops up again
it seems it has managed to re-replace the one i planted in those main directories... as if i had done nothing at all.

now how do i go past this point?
anything i should be knowing like maybe windows checks the integrity of the main exe files it has installed
and if it finds a difference, it gets the file back to original or something like that?
any work-around solution for this?

Yes, System File Checker verifies the integrity of signed files and replaces them if integrity check fails (used most to help stop malware)

So what's the problem with just changing file association?????? Or that matter ANY problem with just changing file associationn?

right click on any text file, choose properties, general tab, advanced and choose the program you wish. If it not in the list click on browse and find it like that. Thats all there is to it. Do the same for ini, log or whatever.

i have done those methods before... the change file association method & "open with" method
but i just reinstalled windows and i was feeling too lazy to do that for the file extensions
it's just too much effort, so i just wanted to replace the main editor exe file "notepad.exe" to save my time and effort

nywys...
i found the solution to my problem here:
http://weblogs.asp.net/scottcate/archive/2005/11/22/431235.aspx
funny! i've done this before by manually replacing notepad.exe from all those specified folders
x:\windows\servicepackfiles\i386
x:\windows\system32\dllcache
x:\windows\system32
x:\windows
but still windows got the notepad.exe back to normal [somehow... or maybe i wasn't fast enough]

but somehow the batch file code on that site worked and i have no problem now

right click on any text file, choose properties, general tab, advanced and choose the program you wish. If it not in the list click on browse and find it like that. Thats all there is to it. Do the same for ini, log or whatever.
I think it's the CHANGE button :)

My mistake, You are correct, it is the change button and not advanced . In any case he (matav) doesn't want to go through the trouble.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back