OpenOffice 3.0 & DOCX files

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tedster

What happened to the office 2007 file support with OO 3.0 ? The beta releases of 3.0 supported Docx but apparently the final releases do not. Any news?

I still know a few yo yos that use microsoft office so its a drag.

I seem to remember docx writing supported in the beta versions. Perhaps I am mistaken.. oh well. At least docx can be read.

I have just opened one of my OO v2.x with OO v3. File was first saved in 2006. I altered it, saved the alteration, closed the file and re-opened with with no problems.

Sometimes when I work on old files, which is often since I use them as templates, I get a warning that the file will be saved in the new format.

I think it depends on how you save it (the actual manual process)

If you manually click on File Save As and then just save it, it may not warn you
But if you just press Save it might.

I have just opened one of my OO v2.x with OO v3. File was first saved in 2006. I altered it, saved the alteration, closed the file and re-opened with with no problems.

Sometimes when I work on old files, which is often since I use them as templates, I get a warning that the file will be saved in the new format.
OO to my knowledge has always been backwards compatible. Remember DOCX is NOT ODS (OO's open source format.)

I thought you were implying you could open a DOCX file and save it as DOCX.

kimsland
Thanks for the explanation, which explains why OO does not always ask. Never gave it thought before since I rarely have to open very old file. Usually use last month's version as a template.

Tedstart
Sorry, I misunderstood your post. My comment was based on the fact that OO is supposed to handle Word files. I assume Word is part of the office suite. Of course in handling those files it will convert them to the OO version.

WORD belongs to Micro$ofts office suite. Word uses a M$ proprietary file format. For 97/2000/XP editions it uses .DOC format. Word 2007 uses .DOCX.

OpenOffice is a FREE, opensource office suite, which includes an open source word processor, spreadsheet, presentation program, drawing program, and database program. There is NO CHARGE unlike Micro$oft office. www.openoffice.org

Openoffice defaults to the international standard. .ODT but you can save files in a variety of formats: (18 at last count, not including PDF exports.) It can read many other formats as well. At one time, if I am not mistaken, older versions could read wordperfect file formats.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back