Opera 11.5 open in new tab issue

SNGX1275

Running Opera 11.5 (build 1074, official) on OS X 10.6.8

On sites like Digg and Reddit when I click a link, they open in a background tab. In previous versions of Opera they would open in a new tab and that tab would become active. Sites like Fark work normally, ie - when I click a link it opens in a new tab and becomes active (although clicking links in the comments threads send them to background tab).

Anyone know where I can change this back to how it was? I had a look through Preferences -> Advanced -> Tabs as well as 'Additional tab options...' there, and I can't find anything to change this behavior.

I also tried to look through about:config and didn't have any luck there but I'm probably just missing something.

Running Opera 11.5 (build 1074, official) on OS X 10.6.8

On sites like Digg and Reddit when I click a link, they open in a background tab. In previous versions of Opera they would open in a new tab and that tab would become active. Sites like Fark work normally, ie - when I click a link it opens in a new tab and becomes active (although clicking links in the comments threads send them to background tab).

Anyone know where I can change this back to how it was? I had a look through Preferences -> Advanced -> Tabs as well as 'Additional tab options...' there, and I can't find anything to change this behavior.

I also tried to look through about:config and didn't have any luck there but I'm probably just missing something.

I gave up on Opera for other reasons, but this Google Search might help you http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=How+to+configure+Opera+tabs

It doesn't unfortunately... The Opera.com links only take you as far as the advanced tab options that I've been to, and the others either aren't even attempting to address my issue, or are so old they aren't useful. If I get time later today I'll check on Win 7 to make sure this is for sure an Opera 11.5 issue rather than an 11.5 on OS X issue.

It doesn't unfortunately... The Opera.com links only take you as far as the advanced tab options that I've been to, and the others either aren't even attempting to address my issue, or are so old they aren't useful. If I get time later today I'll check on Win 7 to make sure this is for sure an Opera 11.5 issue rather than an 11.5 on OS X issue.

My apologies. I failed to see you're using a different OS. Good Luck

I have been using Opera for Windows since the time it was ad financed. Over the years, I've had many funny problems suddenly appearing that almost made me abandon it, they fixed one thing and spoiled another. But I like its feel, speed and especially security and somehow problems tend to get settled one way or another.

Its main drawback now is that Google and Yahoo are not supporting it properly, because apparently its code is hard to work with and not worth it for the number of uses, so we may be forced to change to something else.

Anyway, I don't use your OS but my Opera 11.50 for Windows behaves as yours for the sites you mention. However, in my case it was doing this before, at lest with the sites I was working with.

In
Tools > Preferences… > Advanced > Tabs
Mine has ticked “Reuse current tab”, yet it doesn’t always, as you say.

So, what I can suggest is that you have a better chance of finding experts in its own support forum. Even if they don't have the answer, or there may not be one, you can report the matter hoping it will be fixed in an update. However, it may not be considered a problem.

http://my.opera.com/community/forums/tgr.dml?id=2

Thanks bobcat, I too have been using it since it was ad-supported, one of the few "shareware" apps I bought (maybe the only one?).

I have been slow and did not yet test it with my Win 7 machine, but it is good (and bad) to hear yours behaves like mine is in OS X.

Opera 11 has been pretty fast to update, so I can't be certain that 11.5 "broke it".

Opera, for as long as I can remember has always been superior in tab handling compared to other browsers. Now, something like this happens, and I can't find anything about it online? It has to be a setting or an option somewhere that I'm just overlooking.

I just downloaded & installed Opera & if this screenshot works
a8f15eda80c50adb0e71943adc8015cf.jpg

It shows hopefully what you're looking for.

I appreciate your effort in helping. Unfortunately I have been there, once that is opened you can go to the Advanced tab, and then a section for tabs, and then there is a button for Advanced tab options. I've been through that and it doesn't seem to address my issue.

I appreciate your effort in helping. Unfortunately I have been there, once that is opened you can go to the Advanced tab, and then a section for tabs, and then there is a button for Advanced tab options. I've been through that and it doesn't seem to address my issue.

Ok, I wish you well. I had to again uninstall Opera after that. Evidently Opera don't like my pc. No biggie:)

Turns out, Opera 11.5 on my Win 7 machine opens links in new tabs and they have focus (not background).

Back