TechSpot

Opera 11 released, adds extensions and tab stacking

By Emil
Dec 16, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. Following a relatively short beta, Opera has released version 11 of its browser. In addition to visual mouse gestures, performance improvements, and memory issue fixes, the biggest feature additions in the new version are extension support and tab stacking.

Read the whole story
  2. Archean

Archean TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,049   +75

I've been playing around with the beta for a while, and it seems a reasonable upgrade, I am not sure about the value of tab stacking (may be because I hardly ever open more then 5-6 tabs at any given time), and they are pretty late with that extensions support. Anyway time to upgrade to final release :)
  3. ET3D

ET3D TechSpot Paladin Posts: 977   +31

I just moved back to Firefox, but I guess I could download and see what kind of improvements there are.
  4. foreverzero89

foreverzero89 TS Enthusiast Posts: 246

now that opera has extensions, firefox is now obsolete.
  5. Firefox isn't obsolete until all other broswers have a good adblock and firefox is the only one right now that does. Chrome's adblock should be named adhide since it still downloads the ads but doesn't show them. Which after earlier in this week when both Google and Microsoft where both severing malware through there ad services. It is very important to outright block ads for security reasons.
  6. lawfer

lawfer TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,272   +91

I admit, I lol'ed at that.
  7. EDO219

EDO219 TS Rookie Posts: 298

hm ... could anyone offer an educated analysis of how negatively these added extensions have affected Opera's security? It has long been one of the absolute most secure browsers available to the public, but I wonder if this update has entirely negated that title.

If I remember correctly, Opera actually has a built in ad blocking feature. You can simply edit the urlfilter.ini file and paste in Fanboy's entire list. Voila, every ad blocked via the Adblock Plus extension in Firefox is thus blocked in Opera.
  8. vangrat

vangrat TS Rookie Posts: 223

That is good to know, and I will do this when I get home tonight. However, what you just said will make absolutely no sense to the average user. Therefore, an addon that does this for you is in order.
  9. fpsgamerJR62

fpsgamerJR62 TS Rookie Posts: 489

I've already upgraded to Opera 11 from version 10.63. I also use Chrome 9 beta and Firefox 4 beta 7 on the same PC. My personal experience is that, on the really pesky websites, Opera does a better job of blocking pop-ups than either Chrome or Firefox.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.