Operation could not be completed. The print spooler services is not running.

By emmanp01
Jul 18, 2009
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi

When i try to add a printer i am geting the following error message:

"Operation could not be completed. The print spooler services is not running."

I am using windows xp.

Try starting the soppler services by going to the admin tools - servicese etc but still get the error message.

Any ideas please.....

Patrick
  2. Matthew

Matthew TechSpot Staff Posts: 6,049   +84 Staff Member

Are you sure you started the service? Go to Start > Run > services.msc > Enter/Ok. Find "Print Spooler" - right click it and head into "Properties". You should be able to change the startup to "Automatic" and if it's stopped, click "Start".
  3. emmanp01

emmanp01 Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 27

Hi Mathew,

I've checked and it is set to automatic but it's not started then i start the services and try the add print and still get the same error messages..

Patrick
  4. ChinoNYC

ChinoNYC Newcomer, in training Posts: 102

Try going back into services.msc and check to see if you have LexBce Server and go to Properties and set it to Automatic and Start as well. That may help you end your issue with it.
  5. LookinAround

LookinAround TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 8,361   +167

If you find a service with StartupType=Automatic yet its Status=Stopped that means either:
    > An error occured on Windows startup that prevents it from starting or
    > It starts but an error prevents it from continuing to run

Possible errors would include your printer driver not installed correctly or corrupt. You might try uninstalling / reinstalling it.

In addition to reinstalling the printer driver, i'd suggest you check your Windows Event Logs (check both System and Application logs)
    > Look at the event timestamps to look for any ERROR entries that occured at or after startup
    > If you need further help let us know (and also tell us if you run XP Pro or XP Home)
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.