Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising demo now available

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

If you're among the few people who were disappointed by Modern Warfare 2, you may be interested in another, lesser-known first-person shooter that just released a demo. Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising is a tactical military simulator which debuted on October 6 for the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, and PC. The title is a sequel to 2001's Operation Flashpoint: Cold War Crisis, and the expansion pack Operation Flashpoint: Resistance.

The game is set on a Chinese occupied fictional island in the East China Sea called Skira, where you play as a part of the US Marine Corps tasked with retaking the island. The game embraces an open-world sandbox design, and allows you to explore a 130 square mile island, which contains over 50 drivable vehicles (include land, sea, and air), and more than 70 weapons.

The demo allows you to play through the first mission from the full game, and includes both single-player and co-operative multiplayer modes. You can download the demo now via FileShack (1.39GB).

Permalink to story.

This isn't the true sequel though, that is Armed Assault 2. Codemasters and the developer of the original game - BIS - had a falling out and since Codemasters owned the rights to the title, BIS weren't allowed to call the true sequel Operation Flashpoint!

It's a good game, but it really lacks depth - the missions don't get you involved in the way the original ones did and the mission editor isn't ingame which is a downside. I *hope* that it is as easy to modify as the original one as this kept it so good for so long, but I don't see it happening.

I really didn't like this game, it's waaaay too slow for me. And the lag was unbearable. Some people might like it, but its not for me.

Thanks for the info. I'd really like to sink my teeth into another Far Cry 2 or Fallout 3 type game. That is, a FPS that is a huge open sandbox, where you pick and choose your missions at will and can take the time to do a little exploring and scouting to boot. A game that isn't a continual blast fest from start to finish. Those games are fun (L4D2 as example), but my real preference are the Far Cry 2/Fallout 3 types.

Doesn't sound like this game is what I'm looking for.... :(

Dragon Age Origins sounds like the perfect thing for you. ;)
It's made by Bioware, creators of Mass Effect and KotOR to name a few.

It's seen raving reviews and I heavily recommend it! Best medieval RPG so far.

Also, if you're looking for more fun, check out Borderlands which is another very good RPG I recommend. If you manage to convince some friends to give it a try, it even has co-op!

Borderlands was fun for the first 10-15 hours, but then when you start realizing just how rushed the game actually is, you start noticing more of its faults and it becomes less fun. When I say rushed, I mean the game itself is not what I would consider a final product. I am very sad that companies are allowed to release half-finished games before any true testing goes in because they can always patch them later. I've heard there aren't as many problems with the 360 version of Borderlands, but the PC version just feels very half-finished. It is a true console port. In order to tweak very basic settings such as disabling mouse smoothing, enabling v-sync, and even disabling the microphone in-game, you have to edit the .ini files because there is no option to do so in game. The menus are also poorly designed and feel very awkward to navigate on the PC. I would not recommend it for PC.

Dragon Age, on the other hand, has been quite fun so far. I have only played about 3 hours of it, but it at least plays like an actual PC game and is very engaging (although there is a bit of dialogue).

Well, I downloaded the demo, only to find out that does not mix well at all with low end GPU's. I got only 10-20 FPS, so the game was completely unplayable- and this is with the lowest possible settings, and 800x600 resolution. At those settings I can play Crysis at 30-45 FPS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back