Opinion: Microsoft Surface - The Good, the Ugly and the Unknown

Julio Franco

Staff member
Read the full article at:
[newwindow=https://www.techspot.com/article/544-microsoft-surface-good-bad/]https://www.techspot.com/article/544-microsoft-surface-good-bad/[/newwindow]

Please leave your feedback here.

I really liked the MS's announcement yesterday but the "unknowns" are too critical to really now if these tablets will be worth it, MS didn't even let attendees try the keyboards which is very odd. I guess with we'll see how this unfolds.

Yah, I agree with Mario's comment - until someone gets their hands on it and runs it through some testing, I'm taking a "wait and see" stance. I'm looking at this as having the same potential history as the Kindle Fire. When it first came out, everyone was jumping up and down and clapping their hands. Now they can't give them away.

I really don't understand his whole backstabbing issue. Google does the same with their nexus line of phones. Samsung makes the current one, what about the other manufacturers? Samsung is without a doubt the strongest android OEM now. Do you think the other OEMs don't think this has something to do with it?

As well Google is making their own tablet as well. Is this being brought up so fervently?

Finally, look at windows phone, the OEMs are halt assing it and have since the beginning. Microsoft is making sure **** gets done right and with quality. Samsung and other OEMs put out half ***(a couple were decent) phones and just expected them to sell all by their selves with no advertising or commitment at all. Then they backed out of WP even more as a result of this. Samsung advertises the **** out of the galaxy and the note. HTC is all in with the HTC one series. Hardly anyone heard of the titan 2 and for just reason, HTC doesn't care about it.

You cannot berate Microsoft for trying to run a business, with half *** support with and constant trolling by tech journalist.

Edit: Also "MacBook pro with retina display" is a horrible name too. But no one lists that as a bad thing in the articles I've read about them recently. I don't understand the constant doom and gloom or general negative attitude over Microsoft related news from the journalist community 'as a whole.

@mario & Tom. So you're not sure if you'd buy a product that isn't for sale yet? Of course we have to wait and see. I could be wrong, but I assume most people read reviews about $600 purchases and don't just pre-order.

The experience. The single most important factor on any computer today, let alone a tablet. Microsoft may claim that building both the hardware and software gives it a unique advantage, but unlike Apple, Microsoft doesn't have the process down pat.
True... but MS has lots of experience building operating systems for other's hardware. I'll bet when they make the hardware the way they want it there won't be many problems.

@Chazz... you're right about everything, but people are skeptical of MS because the last few times it drifted away from the saftey of windows it fell flat on it's face. the Zune was never an iPod competitor, and windows phones can't touch Apple/Android/Blackberry in smartphone marketshare. They've sorta earned the reputation of being old fashioned and missing the boat with usability and creating a good experience.

Wholeheartedly agree with @Chazz on the "backstabbing" thing... As was mentioned, it is highly reminiscent of the Nexus phones with Google. This is more of a "see, THIS is how you guys should be doing it!" maneuver by Microsoft, who is (finally) making some smart marketing moves! Drop a "reference design" into the market to stir up buzz, and essentially shame the hardware partners into getting off their butts and stepping up to the plate. The Nexus injected some interesting excitement into the Android platform when Google brought it about, the Surface should (theoretically) do the same. And, let's face it, doesn't hurt to create some positive buzz about Win8 and RT when you consider there is so much apathy and downright negativity about the OS circulating prior to official launch.

I really like the keyboard, as that is something that makes it (to me) usable and more than just a smart phone with a large screen, which is what current tablets are to me for all intents and purposes. Tablet size with MS OS and a keyboard? This could end up in my school bag...

Still using the keyboard and not your voice dictation still after so many years seem to fall back to the keyboard. Touch is not for everyone I know but still some progress still. I look forward to this item when it comes out in Window 8 Pro Quad-core. Not clear on how much RAM is going to be standard on these devices. My Skytab is running Windows 8 Release Preview and I did sign up to get the Pro for $14.99. Skytab comes with 32GB for microSD storage and 2GB of DDR3 for RAM. Dual Core 1.5GHz along with LED 9.7" 1024x768 133ppi panel. Oh yes it does have 2x USB 2.0 ports and 1 full size HDMI port cable is included for that feature. WiFi in Windows 8 and 7 still suffers. I managed to fix that running my Jasper Script no it works better. Even used that on my Windows 7 32-bit and 64-bit U OS those seem to be missing a new features that's present in 8 but not in 7. 7 requires a special patch you get from MSDN. Anyway.. I guess until we reach October they're be more talk about this Surface for months to come!

I also agree with Chazz, I remember reading from analysts months ago that there wouln't be any serious smarthpone/tablet OS competition in the market until Windows 8 RT arrived, almost everybody laughed at it; but that statement was supported on two main things: Android market's lack of utility applications, the versions and all that issues we know about Android... and the comfortable spot where Apple is right now with a lot better software/app support than Android. They didn't even mention Blackberry because of the severe problems RIM has.

But now it comes a serious OS working on ARM that hopefully would make Google to fix a lot of issues and maybe cause Apple to reduce the infamous 'Apple tax' in iPads at least. I see more good from healthy competition than bad things ahead. In the end, only time will tell.

Now that microsoft is releasing it's own hardware, I'll be anxious for them to buy Nokia and make me an x86 Windows 8 phone. I'll dub it Windows x86 and hope others want it, too.

Edit: Also "MacBook pro with retina display" is a horrible name too. But no one lists that as a bad thing in the articles I've read about them recently. I don't understand the constant doom and gloom or general negative attitude over Microsoft related news from the journalist community 'as a whole.

And just because no one list them then it's not right for techspot editor to list it? Most people refer to the new Macbook as 2012 model anyway and "MacBook pro with retina display" is way more informative than "Microsoft Surface for Windows RT".

I could be wrong, but I assume most people read reviews about $600 purchases and don't just pre-order.

(appleFanBashing)

Remember what happened with the iPhone. So, your assumption is flawed... a lot of people buy highly priced products without reading reviews! They even tent up overnight outside the stores to be the first to get their hands on the product. It's sad really :)

(/appleFanBashing)

And just because no one list them then it's not right for techspot editor to list it? Most people refer to the new Macbook as 2012 model anyway and "MacBook pro with retina display" is way more informative than "Microsoft Surface for Windows RT".

If a bad name is a big enough quality that it's worth mentioning, then it's worth mentioning. Period. Both names are bad, im just as informed by windows RT as I am retina. They are still bad names.

And besides, I think you misunderstood. I did not say that no one else mentioned Windows surface for RT is a bad name. Just about everyone did. Barely anyone,including techspot editors, mentioned that with the announcement of the retina display macbook.

If someone is confused by two versions of a tablet then they should not be allowed to go near any technology newer than a radio, by law.

[LEFT]It's usually a fail to announce a product you won't sell for another 4-5 months.[/LEFT]
[LEFT] [/LEFT]
[LEFT]- 13.5 mm and almost 1 kg is way too thick for a tablet[/LEFT]
[LEFT]- $799 price is ridiculous[/LEFT]
[LEFT]- $599 model has a poor quality screen and specs no better than the iPad 3 with its 2048x1536 screen for $499[/LEFT]
[LEFT] [/LEFT]
[LEFT]Overall, MS is failing on this one huge. The only way to compete with the iPad 3 is to offer better features for the same price. The iPad 3 also has great resale value and battery life. You can't just bring out a thick tablet with a cost cutting screen and expect to succeed. Not to mention, if people are going to wait 4-5 months to get this thing, might as well wait 4-5 months after that and get iPad 4.[/LEFT]
[LEFT] [/LEFT]
[LEFT]In general, anyone spending $800 on the Pro version would be way better off just spending $100-200 more and grabbing an Ultrabook at that point or even an 11 inch MBA. For everyone else, the $400-500 is critical and MS misses the mark completely. [/LEFT]

The only way to compete with the iPad 3 is to offer better features for the same price.
Before one competes, they must first enter the game. You make it sound as if the top contender can be easily beaten by anyone who chooses to enter the game. I for one am anxious that Microsoft has decided to enter the tablet market. Personally I don't want anything Apple because of their prices (It a long term hatred, I didn't just get this way). Just call me an "Anti-Apple Fanboy", I really don't mind.

what is the point if kernel not compatible with current windows applications. What is the different from windows 6.1 Pro or 7 (except the tiles)

It is? Maybe you can explain how. Are you suggesting hardware is more important than software? Or do you see it the other way around? Is it that iOS starting to feel inferior or that the display overrides all (which given the unknowns will prove out better on one device or the other). The point is the integration isn't it? Or is it all just emotion in your world? Disgard the actual experience 'I am riding my wave of the past and will not change'. Sound like an argument from old?

So what was your point actually? The reality is that APL is up BIG and reporters of all types feel this and react; part and [FONT=Arial]parcel [/FONT]in the job. MSFT has been flat for close to a decade and this weighs in also (like a boat anchor). Hype feeds itself and feeds on itself leading to [FONT=Arial]frenzy[/FONT]. This is not a healthy thing at all when it happens. Create a giant and watch it tumble is the usual sad ending. This would really 'suck' in Apples case but is increasingly looking [FONT=Arial]inevitable[/FONT].

I watched the live blog of the Surface unveiling and at the time was excited about possibly waiting to buy one. However, as I thought more about it and as more details emerged, I just simply can't justify spending more money to buy a device with a lower screen resolution, shorter battery life and less apps than the latest IPad. I hate to say this because I'm not a big Apple fan. However, trying to look at this objectively the surface appears to be a good attempt, but I'm afraid it may fall a bit short.

Yes the price seems high...but it will run WINDOWS 8.... That is the #1 feature and if Microsoft executes all this successfully they will slowly and surely take over the market share. I like Apple but I think Microsoft has a better strategy and we will see Apple slowly but surely fall from it's high horse! Especially when you figure you will have Windows 8 on your desktop, tablet, and phone....It's going be great!

I don't understand why people say that this is going to be the best tablet because it will "have windows 8". Has everybody forgotten that you can put widows on an iPad? I have it on my iPad 3 and it works great. I mean I don't use it that often because there is nothing I could or would need to do on the windows side that I couldn't do on the iOS side, but when I do randomly decide to boot up windows it works great.

I think you're right about some of your concerns, but remember these are preliminary features and devices only. There will be changes and think that's why they released it this way before they even really priced them. But mainly I think Microsoft wanted to beat somebody else out the door with the keyboard cover idea. That they did!

Now we'll surely see competitors following Microsoft's design example on that note, including possibly Apple. My biggest objection has to do with the including Intel iGPU graphics and inferior screens. If I'd had my druthers, I'd be willing to give up Intel powered tablets for AMD's Fusion APU's and a better screen. Having a superior Intel CPU without the graphics prowess of AMD's balanced APU w/ Desktop HD 7000G series graphics is a waste!

Sorry.... but there is absolutely no comparison between Apple's consumption device only iPad and either an Intel or AMD Fusion powered Tablet with Windows 8!!! .....and that includes Android powered tablets too! .....and quite frankly, the AMD's Fusion APU's offer far better battery life along with that far better graphics performance and at a better PRICE!!!

If Microsoft is really smart, they'll offer AMD Fusion as a choice, because after trying both a new i7 w/ HD 4000 iGPU and a new AMD Fusion APU w/ HD 7650 GPU on various video and games on notebooks, there is no way I'd spend more for less with Intel on the graphics side! ....and as far as against Apple iOS on iPad? ahaha.... the comparison is laughable at best!!! Windows 8 stomps all over it in so many ways and it isn't even final yet!

Back