Optical Thunderbolt cables on the way, prices expected to drop

By Rick
Jan 3, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. As rumored nearly a year ago, it appears optical Thunderbolt cables will be making their debut in 2013. The move to fiber-optic will bring a number of changes, but most importantly should allow for greater speeds (possibly up to 100Gbps)...

Read more
  2. hellokitty[hk]

hellokitty[hk] I'm a TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 4,257   +110

I want to see optical audio cables to get rid of any EMI interference buzz T_T
  3. KristoZ

KristoZ Newcomer, in training

4. RH00D

RH00D TechSpot Booster Posts: 374   +73

Are these using real fiber optic glass? Because the real stuff becomes stiff when it sits unmoved for an extended period of time, then if you ever move the cable it will break. One way some ISPs who offer Internet/TV through fiber optic cables get around this is by using plastic instead of glass in the cables once the cable enters a home (outside the home is still real glass since it never needs to be moved, thus broken).
  5. spydercanopus

spydercanopus TechSpot Guru Posts: 802   +87

One port to rule them all!
  6. spydercanopus

spydercanopus TechSpot Guru Posts: 802   +87

I don't think the medium in which the optics are transmitted matters much.
  7. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 10,004   +710

SPDIF optical connections confuse the hell out of a CD deck. They never seen to find the correct break between songs. As heretical as it sounds, I actually prefer an analog electrical signal transfer for that reason. It's fairly annoying for every song to begin half way through the first measure.
  8. Pan Wah

Pan Wah TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 134   +27

I suspect that transmission range & quality might be hampered if you used concrete? ;)
    spydercanopus likes this.
  9. JC713

JC713 TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 6,105   +727

I wonder if there will be a new network cable anytime soon, the ethernet plug seems dated lol

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.