Optimal Temps, Fan Speeds for motherboard?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Having just gone through the process of removing and reattaching my CPU and heat sink, I'm trying to pay more attention to the fan speeds and temperatures (mobo & CPU). I have an Asus P4P800-E Deluxe motherboard with an Intel (socket 478) P4, 3.2 GHz CPU. The motherboard includes a performance monitoring utility, Asus Probe, that watches the chassis and CPU fans as well as the CPU temp. The utility is easily configurable so as to allow the user to set various thresholds, above or below which various alarms will sound.

I'm trying to determine what acceptable performance ranges for each of the thresholds should be. Yes, I could accept the defaults, but I'd like to be more proactive than that. I checked the Asus manual and their website and wasn't able to locate the data I sought. Does anyone have some suggestions or rules of thumb?

CPU Temps

Not sure about fan speeds. But with a CPU, my laptop has a minimum temp of around 45 Celsius and a maximum of about 60 Celsius. I would assume that most CPU's run at those temps. You could set your threshold temps based on that?

The maximum temperature for your CPU is probably somewhere around 65C-70C (149F-158F), so, base your threshold on that. Really depends on how paranoid you are :).

I know my CPU won't go above a certain temperature with my current configuration after using it for an extended period of time, so I set PC Probe up to let me know when it goes a few degrees beyond that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back