Optoma announces sub-$2,000 projector with 4K resolution

Shawn Knight

Staff member

4K televisions were initially reserved for those with very deep pocket but over time, technological improvements brought manufacturing costs down significantly. The savings were ultimately passed along to the consumer and now, we’re seeing the same thing happen in the projector space.

Audio and video solutions provider Optoma recently announced two of the industry’s first 4K UHD projectors at what it labels as “market-shattering” prices. The Optoma UHD60 and UHD65, both consumer-grade projectors, offer true 3,840 x 2,160 pixel resolution with High Dynamic Range (HDR) compatibility as well as REC.2020 wide color gamut and DCI-P3 coverage.

Optoma says its new projectors also feature vertical lens shift and a 1.6x zoom, thus allowing for a 4K UHD image of up to 300 inches, as well as two HDMI ports and one HDCP 2.2 port.

The Optoma UHD60, with a brightness rating of 3,000 lumens, a 1,000,000:1 contrast ratio (with Dynamic Black enabled) and a white chassis, retails for $1,999. The UHD65, meanwhile, offers PureMotion video processing technology to eliminate motion blurring and image judder, a 1,200,000:1 contrast ratio (with Dynamic Black enabled), 2,200 lumens of brightness and a black chassis. It can be yours for $2,499.

The UHD60 is available to pre-order through Amazon, Best Buy and other popular retailers as of writing. If it’s the UHD65 you’re after, you’ll have to get in contact with distributors Full Compass, ProjectorPeople.com or Visual Apex.

Permalink to story.

I had an Optoma 1080P projector and was quite happy with it until the speaker blew (was using it in my classroom instead of the crappy ones our school provides). Most people won't be bothering with the built-in speakers, so I'd be pretty excited about this...

They all look good on paper. In reality though, the modern TV-s are a better choice.

For the same money you now can get a 75" 4K TV that will look awesome!

They all look good on paper. In reality though, the modern TV-s are a better choice.

I don't really compare them.... projectors are niche items that are either used for corporate purposes or for select home-theaters....

Depending on the amount of tinkering you like to do with your setup, a projector can be far more useful - or more of a pain when trying to unbolt it from your ceiling because something screwed up...

Unless I'm mistaken, they still continue to use bulbs and nobody has successfully created an LED or other projection system that won't cost you an arm and a leg once the bulb fails. Is this still the case?

Unless I'm mistaken, they still continue to use bulbs and nobody has successfully created an LED or other projection system that won't cost you an arm and a leg once the bulb fails. Is this still the case?

I have been using a Panasonic PT-AE4000 for over 5 years now....gasp...on the same bulb. I have reset the "bulb life" timer on it twice already. Im sure if I replaced the bulb I would notice increased brightness but meh, I cant tell any degradation for now. I can find new oem replacements online for $250 a piece. While its not free, its hardly a deal breaker.

Basically I have a 120" VIVID display that I regularily watch directv on, game and occasionally watch a movie with. I have never regretted the purchase. Up in my main living area I have a nice new SONY 65" 4k, its cool for what it is but I dont pay for 4k netflix nor do I have a 4k disc player. At the end of the day its 1/4 the size of my basement 10' screen but performs better in a naturally lit environment.

If your on the fence about a projector, I suggest doing some research and rolling the dice on a nice used model from craigslist. My model is 6 or 7 years old and still blows people away when they come over. The clarity is much better than even I thought possible.

I have been using a Panasonic PT-AE4000 for over 5 years now....gasp...on the same bulb. I have reset the "bulb life" timer on it twice already. Im sure if I replaced the bulb I would notice increased brightness but meh, I cant tell any degradation for now. I can find new oem replacements online for $250 a piece. While its not free, its hardly a deal breaker.

Basically I have a 120" VIVID display that I regularily watch directv on, game and occasionally watch a movie with. I have never regretted the purchase. Up in my main living area I have a nice new SONY 65" 4k, its cool for what it is but I dont pay for 4k netflix nor do I have a 4k disc player. At the end of the day its 1/4 the size of my basement 10' screen but performs better in a naturally lit environment.

If your on the fence about a projector, I suggest doing some research and rolling the dice on a nice used model from craigslist. My model is 6 or 7 years old and still blows people away when they come over. The clarity is much better than even I thought possible.

Same thoughts here. I have an Epson 3020. It's a very popular midrange (~$1,300) model from 5 years ago. I have it on a 100" screen. It looks amazing and blows people away. The bulb is still fine (though a new one would be much brighter). The replacements parts are not expensive either.

There are a couple great reviews sites out there (not too many). There are choices for just about anything. Even Amazon comes with three pre-selected economy models that all do decent. For about $600 today you can get essentially what I paid $1,300 for 5 years ago.

4k is still a luxury. From what I've read, the 4k simulation projectors are so good that even experts have difficulty telling the difference on smaller (<200") screens.

I strongly disagree. Expensive TV's are really only a good choice if you don't care about experience and want ease of use. I've used high end projectors and TV's as daily devices over the years.

A projector will *always* provide the better experience. Even in bright living rooms (assuming you get a decent projector). But, yes, it's often a pain to use. It's not for the faint of heart. Still, if more people saw a projector vs. a 75" 4k TV, many more would pick projectors. Even over newer OLED and QLED screens. Projectors are just that good.

Not really. Around 100$ for a bulb. And ive had my projector for 3 years. Still going strong on the original bulb.

With a good lumin output you can do more of a greyscale screen and it will look decent with daylight. But niche market usually has a light controlled room. I have mine in the basement.
The only flaw I have with the projector system is when I'm just trying to watch TV and I accidentally turn the system off... Then you have to wait a couple of minutes for the fan to cool down, then another for it to turn back on.... For quality purposes, however, a good projector cannot be beaten.

We have an Optoma projector at 1080p. Our screen is 101".

Can anyone tell me how much of an improvement a projection screen is over a matte, white-painted wall?

Last edited:
Back