TechSpot

Orbitz shows more expensive hotel results to Mac users

By Shawn Knight
Jun 26, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. If you are planning a vacation this year and will be using Orbitz to book accommodations, surfing from a PC instead of a Mac could save you some money. The travel site has discovered through extensive data mining that Mac……

Read more

2. ikesmasher

ikesmasher TS Evangelist Posts: 2,560   +862

they wanted to stay in line with apples pricing

3. It's not surprising. Mac users tend to pay more for the same components they could have gotten with a PC, but because the Mac label is slapped on there, they're willing to pay 5 times more for it.
    Why not take advantage of Mac users and their lack of common sense and logic?

4. Alvaro

Alvaro TS Rookie Posts: 41   +8

You mean "lack of intelligence".

5. mario

mario Ex-TS Developer Posts: 399   +17

Yeah right "same components", because a 2 star hotel has the same level of comfort and safety than a 5 star hotel.

6. safety? since when is any hotel un-safe just because it has fewer stars? do 1 star hotels have a 50% chance to catch on fire during the night? if it has a bed and bathroom, that's all you need (stay with the metaphor here people)

7. Lionvibez

Lionvibez TS Evangelist Posts: 1,103   +346

Ya except when you stay at a **** hole and bring bed bugs back to your house or even worse roaches etc. No thanks!

8. Timonius

Timonius TS Evangelist Posts: 640   +56

sooo...we should all search via linux right?

9. Lionvibez

Lionvibez TS Evangelist Posts: 1,103   +346

It clearly says on a MAC.

so aslong as you are on windows PC or linux you are fine!

10. Matthew

Matthew TechSpot Staff Posts: 5,268   +92

There are plenty of safety concerns with a hotel. Beyond the obvious health and sanitation issues that Lionvibez touched on, location is a factor. Certain areas simply have higher crime rates, and hotel guests are common targets because they travel with high-price electronics, credit cards and identifying info as well as other valuables. I would expect a pricier hotel to offer better security in terms of personnel, surveillance, locks and storage. I'd say safety is definitely a factor and in more ways than one.

11. ^I'd take roaches over bed bugs any day.

12. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,752   +1,107

The only one who said 'Same components' was a Guest. And he was talking about computers. How'd you guys get onto hotel safety? Or is taking something out of context and running in the wrong direction with it normal for TS?

Anyway... I've often wondered about sites and their prices and to hear they're rigged in some way would not surprise me. One night I spent an hour or so searching for a flight on expedia and I must have tripped the 'this-guy-is-desperate' trigger because the prices went up $20 all of a sudden. I opened a new session and they were back down.
    Then again... this is simply supply and demand taken to a new degree...