Origin vulnerability lets attackers hijack gaming machines

By Matthew
Mar 19, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Upwards of 40 million users of EA's Origin game platform could be open to a vulnerability that allows an attacker to remotely execute malicious code. Demonstrated by ReVuln on Friday at the Black Hat security conference in Amsterdam, the process...

Read more
  2. JC713

JC713 TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 6,088   +723

Not surprised. Origin is a fail.
    RmandsDC likes this.
  3. Sniped_Ash

Sniped_Ash Newcomer, in training Posts: 102   +29

It amuses me to no end that EA copied Steam, but didn't bother to learn from Valve's mistakes.
  4. "It's unclear if or when EA will issue a fix, "

How is it, in any way unclear, whatsoever? Its EA ... the Definitive Answer is "We'll get around too it in a few months"
  5. IAMTHESTIG

IAMTHESTIG TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 357   +30

I know... Steam was crap when it first came out, but they kept improving their product and service to the point where people are happy now. To top it off the frequent sales helps encourage loyalty.

Origin was crap and still is crap, even after all this time. It doesn't appear they've made any attempts to improve the UI. The only thing I can acknowledge is they are releasing update patches regularly, and some issues have been resolved, but overall it is still crap.
  6. howzz1854

howzz1854 TechSpot Maniac Posts: 585   +79

I have to say honestly most of my game purchase decisions have been put off by the exclusivity of Origin platforum. Steam didn't get this popular because they forced every game to be distributed on steam only. users had choices of steam or other direct download methods. it was the variety of options and convenience that made steam popular, instead EA is going about it all wrong. apparently EA thinks forcing the users into lack of option will drive sales. with all the negative press lately, and lack of performance on their balance sheet, sometimes I think EA just needs to start it all over fresh.
  7. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 2,178   +507

Bah! All game clients are a pain in the posterior. I can easily live without any of them.
  8. You forgot to add "if ever".
  9. JC713

They used Battlefield 3 as a way to promote it, it helped, but the client still fails.
  10. TS-56336

TS-56336 TechSpot Booster Posts: 563   +96

Origin itself is one big exploit.
    JC713 likes this.
  11. Mbloof

Mbloof Newcomer, in training Posts: 51   +6

Gee I'm sorry. I thought I simply purchased a game from you. I did NOT however give you license to advertise on my desktop and suggest other titles to me.
  12. fimbles

fimbles TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 1,193   +105

A simple way to get around this is to download a no-cd crack. and dont install origin at all.

Copy protection fails again.
  13. TheDreams

TheDreams TechSpot Booster Posts: 423   +32

They used Battlefield 3 as a way to promote it, it helped, but the client still fails.[/quote]

I'd have to say that Battlefield 3 is the only good game on Origin, that is really the only thing that is holding Origin up.

14. JC713

I'd have to say that Battlefield 3 is the only good game on Origin, that is really the only thing that is holding Origin up.[/quote]
    Yup, thats what my point was.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.