Original iPhone to become 'obsolete' in Apple's eyes soon

Dave LeClair

It looks like Apple is going to start calling the original iPhone "vintage," according to an internal document leaked by 9to5Mac. This title is more than just a name, as it has some ramifications for device owners. The phone, which first hit the market in 2007, will be confined to the annals of history starting on June 11, 2013 along with various models of Macs and Xserve models also receiving the status.

On Apple's support site, the company defines such products as "those that were discontinued more than five and less than seven years ago." A product in vintage stage has a key exception that forces Apple to continue to service them. Any product purchased in the state of California is required to be serviced by a state statute during Apple's vintage stage.

The company also has a word for products beyond that "more than five and less than seven years" stage. Apple refers to these products as "obsolete." Any product more than seven years old falls into this category, and with these, Apple does not support them without exception.

The original iPhone will soon cross that line, which means individuals still using the devices will be unable to take them into Apple's retail stores for service. According to this document, the iPhone will remain in vintage status in the US, while it is considered obsolete in other regions and in Apple retail stores. This means an original iPhone owner in the US can still have their device serviced via Apple Care and Authorized Service Providers.

To go along with the iPhone, most 2007 Macs will also fall into the vintage and obsolete stage, which will place the same rules for receiving service on them as the original iPhone.

Permalink to story.

The industry has been calling this EOL - End-of-Life, and even legacy. So Apple comes up with Vintage (patent pending), and this is news. What is next? Really??

The industry has been calling this EOL - End-of-Life, and even legacy. So Apple comes up with Vintage (patent pending), and this is news. What is next? Really??
You need a different hobby!! Just because it is not news to you, doesn't mean everyone knows the story. Get a life and stop cracking whips of which you have no right to hold.

In other news, my six year old Core 2 system running on an x48 chipset works perfectly fine with Windows 8 x64. Can't say the same of my PowerMac G5, which won't run the latest copy of OS X. Thanks Apple!

You need a different hobby!! Just because it is not news to you, doesn't mean everyone knows the story. Get a life and stop cracking whips of which you have no right to hold.
My understanding is that he's berating Apple, not TS for running the article. I agree with him too...

Back