ORiNOCO ieee adapter?

By WorkingTitle
May 11, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Is there some kind of adapter I could install into my desktop to install a Proxim ORiNOCO IEEE 802.11b/g PC Card? Model: 8470-WD

I've looked online a bit already, and found nothing, so I'm beginning to think I've wasted money getting this card, when I do not currently have a laptop to run it, and know of no way to install it into a desktop.
  2. Rabbit01

Rabbit01 TechSpot Booster Posts: 862   +33

Something like a pcmcia adapter? I'd get a wireless adapter that can do b/g/n or g/n instead. That way, if you upgrade your router to a faster model, you would still be able to use the adapter. If you're going w/ the pcmcia adapter, check the vendor's site to see if they have driver for your OS. The one I linked doesn't say support for Win7, if that's what you use.
  3. WorkingTitle

WorkingTitle Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

This looks like it might actually be what I need, but I'm not entirely sure, because I'm trying to use this: http://www.amazon.com/Proxim-ORiNOCO-802-11b-Card-8470-WD/dp/B00009OLMJ . In my desktop, and don't want to waste another 17 bucks if it won't work with that adapter anyway.

Sorry if I seem completely inept by the way, I have no idea what's what when it comes to hardware, I'm just a code monkey.
  4. Rabbit01

Rabbit01 TechSpot Booster Posts: 862   +33

That should work. Looking at the spec sheet, whatever adapter you'll be purchasing, it should support Cardbus (32 bit) & can output 3.3 V. And that there are drivers for both your card and the adapter for your OS.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.