OS for browsing only

Status
Not open for further replies.

detrunks

This may be a noob question, but is there an OS that boots really quickly that is only for browsing the internet (using anything but IE!). At the moment, I boot up on many occasions just for the internet and not for anything else. Seems a bit of a waste!

Thanks in advance for any replies

It may be pretty heavy, but it's also very quick and lightweight, and shouldn't have a problem running on an older computer.

Though I suppose you could always try one of those DSL (Damn small linux) or portable linux os's or something.

why turn your computer off at all? just leave it on, more harm that good will come to your comp cold starting it all the time.

well i think u should get chrome os because it is made for networking it loads super fast etc. but im not sure if the full thing is out so get the beta version see how u like it and if no then linux mint

I would suggest ChromeOS, but it is only supported by a handful of PCs right now (lack of drivers support).

Chrome works on most computers now... It has been updated by Google. Drivers are not an issue

With a claim of a boot time of 7 seconds (cold boot/power button), the Google Chrome OS is expected to be released on netbooks near the end of 2010, however Google announced Jan 24th that it will come with a "media player that approximates the functionality of Windows Media Player". The Chromium OS open source project, which invites developers to participate, was released in Nov, 2009.- the same time Google gave a sneak preview of the OS.

(as reported by eweek.com)

This may be a noob question, but is there an OS that boots really quickly that is only for browsing the internet (using anything but IE!). At the moment, I boot up on many occasions just for the internet and not for anything else. Seems a bit of a waste!

Thanks in advance for any replies
it's an old pc
amd643200+ X2, 1GB ram on an asus an8e; nvidia 7900 with XP pro

That's actually not a bad machine at all. Is this your main machine? If so then I assume you'll want to dual boot? If it's just web browsing you want, then I would reccomend a bog standard Debian install with a lightweight window manager like Fluxbox or maybe LXDE. If it's Vista or XP with full bloat that you're running now on that same machine, you should notice a big difference. If it's very light and fast that you want, then I'd recommend Puppy Linux.

I've no experience of chrome, so I cannot recommend it. Personally I wouldn't want an OS that is basically the platform for a browser - and google are in the adware business - so well work it out for yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back