OS X Mavericks is Apple's next desktop operating system

By Julio Franco
Jun 10, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Today during Apple's WWDC the company was ready to unveil details about its new desktop operating system, OS X 10.9 Mavericks. Whether they ran out of cool cat names or the new naming scheme relates to a new philosophy behind...

Read more
  2. JC713

JC713 TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 6,713   +873

I cant believe they ran out of big cat names xD. This is a catch up version of OS X (to keep up with Windows), I didnt expect much. OS X 11 is where the big stuff is at.
  3. Sorry, they passed Windows about a decade ago.
    mario likes this.
  4. m4a4

m4a4 TechSpot Addict Posts: 505   +133

Guest's like trolling, don't they?
    EEatGDL likes this.
  5. mario

mario Ex-TS Developer Posts: 399   +17

I would argue is the other way around.
  6. Julio Franco

Julio Franco TechSpot Editor Topic Starter Posts: 6,511   +308

I use both, each has its pros/cons but I like the direction OS X is taking more than Windows'.
    Shaun2312 likes this.
  7. JC713

Yeah.

OS X just gained the ability to expand a display. That has been in Windows since when? XP?
  8. Tekkaraiden

Tekkaraiden TechSpot Maniac Posts: 892   +52

I guess OSX 10.9 Cougar just didn't sound appealing.
    VitalyT and JC713 like this.
  9. JC713

Sounds fine. I guess it isnt Apple worth xD.
  10. Nobina

Nobina TechSpot Booster Posts: 342   +66

Microsoft did both Apple and Linux a favor by releasing Windows 8. They don't have to do much to compete now.
  11. JC713

I love how Apple compared OS X Mountain Lion adoption to Windows 8 LOL.

12. VitalyT

VitalyT TechSpot Guru Posts: 1,575   +485

Who doesn't like cougars? They are so easy to relate to... ROFL
  13. mario

mario Ex-TS Developer Posts: 399   +17

You've always been able to use more than one display on OSX, Mavericks just adds support for an AirPlay display as an expanded one and added the menubar/dock to every display, instead of just having one main one (with menu/dock) and the others without.
    cliffordcooley and VitalyT like this.
  14. JC713

Oh ok.
  15. yukka

yukka TechSpot Paladin Posts: 709   +28

Interesting but hardly ground breaking. Be interested in the other 196 features
  16. tonylukac

tonylukac TechSpot Maniac Posts: 818   +19

Drove a Ford Maverick most of the time I went to college, 60 miles a day. 20 below zero weather and it only didn't start one time when I bombarded it with the snow blower. Had a broken belt another time at school, which I repaired there borrowing tools from a Standard Oil gas station, while the car pool waited. No other problems. Ironically, my father worked for GM. I really don't know whatever happened to it. To think that the only Apple product I own is a tiny iPod Shuffle, which was free via an essential kickback from a software salesman. Never bought the software so it wasn't a kickback. Had a Macbook Pro once, but the updates corrupted it due to the high wireless traffic in this apartment and Apple doesn't do checksums. Returned it for a full refund from Frys.
  17. File tagging will be a very useful feature and the tabbed browser too. Anyone who uses both Win & Mac daily and professionally (like myself) knows that OS X is light years ahead. The rest are just T.O.T.Azzzes.
  18. Shaun2312

Shaun2312 Newcomer, in training Posts: 20

I am in the same boat, I regularly use both and I much prefer the line that Apple are taking with OSX than I do Microsoft are taking with Windows 8
    richalone442 likes this.

19. scorpian007

scorpian007 Newcomer, in training Posts: 30

Lies. I use both daily. I have a high end desktop PC from 3 years ago, Surface and a rMBP and OS X is rubbish. Constant spinning beachballs and runs slow for no reason, my 3 year old desktop smashes it.
  20. Sunny87

Sunny87 TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 120   +11

So he's lying because you bought a crap MBP that needs repair? Sorry I have been using windows and Mac OS X for years in network environments and the only issues I get are all windows related, OS X has a few issues with taking a while to join the domain from cold start but nothing a simple 5AM boot time doesn't solve.
    richalone442 likes this.
  21. Nobina

I've been using Windows 7 since it came out and I never had any problems with it, no bugs, no viruses, nothing. Also, before 7 I used XP and also never had any problems. Generally, Windows has problems because of faulty software, while Mac OS X has problems because of faulty OS.
  22. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 5,765   +1,427

I've often made the statement, I'd never buy into Apple. I can't believe I'm here actually reconsidering my words. With the recent direction of Windows, I may find myself looking for alternatives. So from this day forth, I am opening negotiations for Apple. I'm not ready to cross the line just yet, but I am looking around.

How can you say that about OS X, if all you have used is Windows XP and Windows 7?

I can sit here and make opinionated speeches about Windows all day long. When it comes to OS X, I have no experience, and no right to state opinions period. Unless you can provide more detail, I'm tempted to say the same for you.
  23. scorpian007

scorpian007 Newcomer, in training Posts: 30

So a top end MBP, which is supposed to be Apple's best computer is now crap? I also had similar issues with my MBA too a year ago. Barely anything installed on them too. Had PC's for almost 20 years, only had one hardware problem (Geforce4 graphics card) and since WinXP SP2, Windows has been rock solid and hasn't given me issues.
  24. Nobina

You're right, I don't have much experience with OS X even though I used it. But a couple of my friends had them, they were tech guys, and bugs they had were always related to the OS. A couple of friends is not any big deal, but usually when I find a Mac user complaining about some problems it's mostly related to the OS (and sometimes peripherials give problems). Now, it's not that I hate Apple or I'm a Windows fanboy, that's just the way I see it from my LOW experience.
    cliffordcooley likes this.
  25. Sunny87

Sunny87 TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 120   +11

I'm not saying it's crap as an entirety I'm using one right now and not one issue, but if you buy from eBay or preloved expect a pile of crap.

Sorry but I have been using windows for years, I learned on 3.1 and my first installation of it was 1998 and 1998 SE but it's never evolved as an OS, just to prove that fact try to make a folder on the desktop in windows 7 called LPT1 or CON, you can't do it because it's still got the backbone of DOS, Unix has evolved and grown and has always been a more stable OS, Windows needs to evolve into a file system.

I'm the administrator of over 2000 PC and mac's ipads and Citrix the only issues we get are using Windows failures, at home not a problem my gaming PC has been fine for 3 years, but ultimately the fact remains Windows has nothing on Mac OS X, I was once like most people here would havenever have used OS X but after being given a MBP for my job I don't think I would go back to anything else with windows on it, most if not all other laptops feel and look cheap compared to the MBP and why do you think companies do their upmost to build windows laptops that look like MBP's?

Lack of software on the OS from the start is a good thing I don't want bloatware thank you, plus a license for OS X is massively cheaper and so is the OS X equivalent of office and if you don't like pages act, then you can purchase and download Microsoft office for the system.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.