OtterBox acquires rival smartphone and tablet case maker LifeProof

Shawn Knight

Staff member

otterbox lifeproof tablet smartphone protective case

OtterBox on Wednesday announced the acquisition of TreeFrog Developments Inc., otherwise known as LifeProof. The multi-billion dollar business designs, manufacturers and markets protective cases for smartphones and tablets to defend against water, dirt, snow, shock and the hazards of daily life much like OtterBox does.

In a press release on the matter, OtterBox said that over the next 30 days they will begin incorporating the LifeProof brand into the OtterBox family. The Fort Collins, Colorado, company pointed out that more information about product availability and alignment will be determined once the integration has been completed. Financial terms of the agreement were not disclosed.

At present, OtterBox employs roughly 650 people worldwide while LifeProof carries a staff of around 250 individuals. LifeProof employees will now join the OtterBox team and will remain at their San Diego location for the foreseeable future.

LifeProof first hit the scene in 2009 as an alternative “rugged” brand for mobile device protection. It’s ironic then that OtterBox is buying out the competition, seemingly in an effort to remain the sole “rugged” case provider. True enough, I can’t think of another case maker that protects against the elements like these two do.

With the acquisition, OtterBox said they want to utilize the combined brand momentum and talent to create a great customer experience. That’ll no doubt help as OtterBox is already the number one selling case for smartphones according to data collected from The NPD Group.

Permalink to story.

I prefer diztronic/TPU cases. They're pretty thin so they don't add much bulk to a phone, basically like a phone condom. Fits my Galaxy phone like a glove and it adds just enough heft so that it feels like a sturdy droid instead of cheap plastic.

Back