TechSpot

Outlook.com suffers 16-hour outage due to overheating datacenter

By Jos
Mar 14, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Microsoft suffered a massive server outage yesterday that left users of Outlook.com, Hotmail, Calendar and SkyDrive unable to access all or parts of those services for a 16-hour stretch. In a blog post explaining the situation, Microsoft's Arthur de Haan...

Read more

2. Sure blame it on the heat this time, but take care of it. If it happens again name the real culprit the OS that is generating the excessive heat.

3. Timonius

Timonius TS Guru Posts: 585   +34

Funny, the title and your understanding are unintentionally misleading. The root problem was a faulty firmware update. This caused the heat, etc.

I'm wondering what kind of additional redundancies should have been in place to prevent such a long downtime.

4. As Nelson would say when point at you! HA! HA!, HA! HA!, HA! HA!

5. avoidz

avoidz TS Maniac Posts: 454   +54

And people are still seriously behind "cloud computing"? What a joke. No "cloud", no data for you.

6. WaveZero

WaveZero TS Rookie Posts: 41

https://status.live.com/

MS don't BS us, that site was down when I tried to check it... =/

I didn't had access to my emails, skydrive and a few sites that I regularly check. They were all down...

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.