Outlook Express max attachment size

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlbertLionheart

Anyone know where the settings are for changing the max file size to send?
Since a major rebuild I cannot send any large files any more. It is not the AV.

The problem is with any email client, that anything over as little as 1Meg can fail !!
This is why so many file sharing web servers exists (thousands of them)

Would using one of these file sharing servers be more helpful to you?

Good idea kimsland - thanks for your input on this one. The problem is that this is such a rare occurance that I have not been stuck before. The file in question is a backup volume which cannot be broken down any further.
cheers

Some things to consider:
1. What is the maximum size of binary attachment in email?
Using other email clients (e.g. Outlook, Outlook Express): Currently, the maximum size of binary attachment is limited to 10M bytes by the mail server. The total size of all attached files cannot exceed 10M bytes.

2. Many email service providers restrict the size of email attachments that users can send and receive. You can use the Windows XP’s Compressed (Zipped) Folder utility, which will pack large files into small packages for easy transmission across the Internet.

It seems that not only OE decides the max size (10 Meg I think) but also your ISP mail server also states what maximum size you can download.

So the question is not what size (ie the file sharing can be 100Meg Free upload) and FTP can be infinite I believe)

So what size are we talking? Backup volume ~2Gig ?

edit:

Wow Bobbye we posted the same thing (and I didn't even know) how strange, I'm glad we both had the same values too.

thanks everyone - have ended up using snailmail as it was quicker and easier. Not very tech but there you go - sometimes a runner with a note in a forked stick is the best option.

"Wow Bobbye we posted the same thing (and I didn't even know) how strange, I'm glad we both had the same values too."

kimsland, it's not the first time we've zoomed in on the same thing! I think this is a good thing!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back