TechSpot

Outlook Express wireless setting

By mpropst
Feb 20, 2009
  1. Usually send email via dialup at home
    Trying to send email via public wireless site in library
    I can receive but sending i get error server not found
    Is there a setting in OE I need to change to make an account that sees the wireless?

windows 2000xp dell laptop intel pro wireless 2100 pci

err msg:
    The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'mail.planetkc.com (1)', Server: 'smtp.planetkc.com', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10060, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E

those settings would normally work from dialup account, what do i need to do to send via wireless on public site?
    Thanks
    Mark

2. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 9,322   +622

VERY COMMON ISSUE; can receive email at a hotspot but not send.

Problem: Your ISP is blocking what is known as an Open Relay.
    see this description

Solution: Use your browser to log into your ISP website and use the Webbased Email
    service there.

excerpt from a Wiki
    Quote:
    Closing relays

In order not to be considered "open," an e-mail relay should be configured to accept and forward only the following messages (details will vary from system to system - in particular, further restrictions may well apply):[14]
    • Messages from local IP addresses to local mailboxes
    • Messages from local IP addresses to non-local mailboxes
    • Messages from non-local IP addresses to local mailboxes
    • Messages from clients that are authenticated and authorized

In particular, a properly secured SMTP mail relay should not accept and forward arbitrary e-mails
    from non-local IP addresses to non-local mailboxes by an unauthenticated or unauthorized user.

In general, any other rules which an administrator chooses to enforce (for instance, based on what an e-mail gives as its own envelope from address) must be in addition to, rather than instead of, the above.[14] If not, the relay is still effectively open (for instance, by the above rules): it is easy to forge e-mail header and envelope information, it is considerably harder to successfully forge an IP address in a TCP/IP transaction due to the three-way handshake that occurs as a connection is started.

Open relays have also resulted from security flaws in software, rather than misconfiguration by system administrators.[15][16] In these cases, security patches need to be applied to close the relay.
    /Quote​

3. mpropst

mpropst TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thanks Jobeard

Appreciate the info. I'll check with the isp re that. Talked to them this am and they said I had the wrong outgoing server, though it's always worked from my dialup so I suspect it may be what you said.
    Thanks
    Mark

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.