Outlook express won't delete messages

Status
Not open for further replies.

bestman

Problem started today. Can't delete messages in inbox or deleted folder. I get a little box that says can't delete, there is an error. Doesn't tell me what error is. Haven't downloaded anything in a few days. Running xp pro, ie 8, all systems go until today. Does anyone have any idea what error could be, and how to fix? Much appreciated. Insurer

Maybe you reached the limit of Outlook express. Can you try the maintenance options found under tools/options/maintenance tab. Start by clearing the deleted folder, then run 'clean up now' to compact unused space. Let us know how it goes.

If that works....also advise you to delete old emails not wanted again and compact again afterwards also.

thanks for the quick reply, but no success. I also went to store folder under maintanance to see my email path. It was suggested that I delete the "inbox.dbx" file, but the only path shown is:

C:\Documents and Settings\Joel\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{707B0A57-A2B3-474E-A133-FA25E854CA04}\Microsoft\Outlook Express

Any suggestions?

I did not say 'delete' the actual file. You delete emails from deleted.dbx by opening OE, selecting deleted items folder in the interface, then right-click and choose 'empty deleted items'. After that, select menu tools and 'clean up now' as already described. Please report exactly what happens.

There are more suggestions on http://icrontic.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25672 It is possible to delete deleted.dbx but you need XP settings to allow you to see the file. Details in the above link.

This is a commnon problem, and happens to people who fail to properly maintain their system, especially failing to clear deleted items from OE. Check your file sizes and see if this comment is referring to you....:blush:

thank you for the response. I deleted both the "inbox.dbx" file and the "delete.dbx" file, restarted OE, and all is now well. Thank you for the help. Not sure how it happened, but I only had 15 or so emails in inbox, and always clear it every couple of days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back