TechSpot

Ouya raises another $15 million, delays console launch to June 25

By Dave LeClair
May 9, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Ouya, one of the most successful Kickstarter campaigns ever, has landed another $15 million in funding. This time the company took a more traditional route, however, landing its money from world-famous venture capitalist firms Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers and Mayfield...

Read more
  2. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 6,932   +899

Hopefully they update it with a Tegra 4, 2GB of RAM and some software tweaks before launch. That will help fix the laggy experience first adopters have been experiencing.
    St1ckM4n likes this.
  3. Vrmithrax

Vrmithrax TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,285   +232

Well, if they are delaying product launch until June 28, but the release of the Tegra 4 isn't until July, I'd guess that there is less than zero chance of that happening. There is no way they can be ramping up their production to meet their excessive demand with hardware that is not available yet...

Not to worry though. If the Ouya doesn't completely flop, I would imagine you can expect a new Tegra 4 board to be available for it as the first yearly update. Or just wait and grab the next generation. Of course, in a year I'm sure everyone will be complaining that it only has a Tegra 4 and not the Tegra 5 coming soon...
  4. JC713

Right! I forgot about the release date. I think they should wait till the Tegra 5 comes out. But for a device dedicated solely to gaming, you need 2GB of RAM.
  5. St1ckM4n

St1ckM4n TS Evangelist Posts: 3,465   +622

Probably not. Android uses RAM differently. I am sure there's a cap on the RAM usage possible (like x86 software), but even then there's no single game that uses close to 1GB RAM on Android - the market dictates that it can't.

Add in the fact that the Ouya won't be running random junk in the background as much as a phone and 1GB is plenty.
  6. JC713

True. With the latest rumor of 4.3 using OpenGL ES 3.0, we may see more advanced games, and thus they will need more RAM. We have to wait and see.
  7. GeforcerFX

GeforcerFX TS Booster Posts: 326   +47

I doubt there abilities to get a tegra 4 into a $99 package for at least another year maybe two, tegra 3 is cheap and powerful hence why they went with it, but it was pretty pricey at launch back in 2010. If the price goes up there prob gonna lose a lot of customers imo. The consoles is gonna be great for the casual gamer that has tablets or smartphones but wants the same experience on there TV and with a controller who isn't interested on dropping $60 on game (at least without getting to try it first). Then add in the custom games and the emulators that are bound to pop up and the whole package sounds pretty good to me. I want to see how nvidia tweaked the tegra 3 since it wasn't as power restricted being in the ouya. I remember reading some rumors of possibly 2ghz on the quad cores and a boost on the GPU clock as well, but I will have to wait and see in June.
  8. spydercanopus

spydercanopus TS Guru Posts: 802   +87

Ouya wanted an Xbox? Here kid, happy birthday *belch*
  9. JC713

Yeah, the selling point of the Ouya is the price tag.
  10. H3llion

H3llion TechSpot Paladin Posts: 968   +99

I have one bother with this company, terrible name for a console to be honest. OJA is what il call it or "oya"
  11. 9Nails

9Nails TechSpot Paladin Posts: 970   +84

I hear people calling it the "Oo-yah", like hearing someone in Minnesota's reply when you ask them if they like pancakes.

Funny name aside, its got a really low price! Yeah, it won't be a PS4 killer, but how many games would it take to make a $99 investment pay off? I liken it to watching a movie in 4K at the theaters, but being satisfied with the DVD quality for home as well. Same experience, fewer polished pixels, better price. I like that its try before you buy as well. I think that this little console will be a blast to own!

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.