Over 200,000 BitTorrent users sued for file sharing in the U.S.

Julio Franco

Staff member

The number of copyright infringement lawsuits in the United States against BitTorrent users seems to be accelerating at a phenomenal pace. In January we reported that almost 100,000 users were being targeted using the pay-up-or-else scheme, but a new statistic backed up by a massive spreadsheet detailing the cases suggests that this number has grown to over 200,000 users of which a majority belongs to file sharers using the BitTorrent protocol and a minority of ed2k users.

Two high-profile cases that we've reviewed in the past year include the massive filings against people allegedly pirating movies 'The Expendables' and 'The Hurt Locker', which combined make up for at least 45,000 users.

The way "pay-up-or-else" works is that copyright holders get a court order to force ISP to reveal personal details of the account holders behind the IP addresses allegedly distributing copyrighted material. Then those individuals receive a letter threatening legal action, with the possibility of settling for a fixed amount that usually ranges from a few hundred to a few thousand dollars, thus avoiding the risk of paying larger sums in a full trial.

Though always a possibility, lawyers don't actually want to pursue legal action, they're just hoping to scare people into paying the settlement.

With the sheer increase of these lawsuits it's only fair to assume the scheme is paying dividends, at least for now. In what seemed to be a significant change of gears, an U.S. Judge ruled last May that an IP address is not adequate evidence to pin a crime on someone, a key piece of the scheme currently being used by the so-called "copyright trolls".

Permalink to story.

M1r said:
HACK THE PLANET!!!
My new motto.

"This is our world now. The world of the electron and the switch; the beauty of the baud. We exist without nationality, skin color, or religious bias. You wage wars, murder, cheat, lie to us and try to make us believe it's for our own good, yet we're the criminals. Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. I am a hacker, and this is my manifesto. You may stop me, but you can't stop us all."

"Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity"
lol hacking for some is more fun than a tornado in trailer park....but as they say curiosity killed the cat.

We rail against the crooks in Washington and business, but we are also the crooks.
When you steal other peoples property, that is called theft.

I would love to see a TechSpot guide on protecting yourself from being the victim of one of these suits. I know there are precautions that can be taken - using BTguard and such - but a full, comprehensive write-up by one of the talented and knowledgeable writing staff here at TS would be amazing.

gwailo247 said:
M1r said:
HACK THE PLANET!!!
My new motto.

"This is our world now. The world of the electron and the switch; the beauty of the baud. We exist without nationality, skin color, or religious bias. You wage wars, murder, cheat, lie to us and try to make us believe it's for our own good, yet we're the criminals. Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. I am a hacker, and this is my manifesto. You may stop me, but you can't stop us all."

Win.

"Pay up, or else"

Sounds like a huge extortion racket to me.

I don't file share.

But I really hope they accuse me of it.

I'll end up with the same huge unearned jackpot these lawyers are reaping....and I'll get it from them.

Just bring out the guillotine. Piracy will be much less, once heads start to roll ha ha.

I would love to see the cost/return numbers for those figures.

Dont be intimidated by idle threats.

Guest said:
I would love to see a TechSpot guide on protecting yourself from being the victim of one of these suits. I know there are precautions that can be taken - using BTguard and such - but a full, comprehensive write-up by one of the talented and knowledgeable writing staff here at TS would be amazing.

I really don't think it would be in Tech Spot's best interest to show you how to download copyrighted material and get away with it. Good news however that there is a nearly 100% proven way* not to be hit with one of these lawsuits -

Step 1: Don't illegally download copyrighted material.
Step 2: Repeat Step 1

*provided of course you have a secure WIFI. Your ******* neighbor could be downloading Dutch gardening bondage videos off your connection.

Really, this is to be expected. I think it was somewhere on these very forums that I predicted this very action from the entertainment industry. Sad and pathetic losers under the umbrella of internet anonymity espousing the virtues of outright theft. Such bravado. I've said it before and I'll say it again. Not a one of you "Hack The Planet" goof balls would have the gumption to walk out of a Wal-Mart with a video game or a movie in your pocket and it's the same thing when copyrighted materials are distributed over the web. It's theft people.
I say good for the entertainment industry. Although I disagree with their attempt to extort rather than outright sue, it's a step in the right direction. Something for nothing truly does not exist in Nature.

Guest said:

Get a VPN

double win

Guest said:
I've said it before and I'll say it again. Not a one of you "Hack The Planet" goof balls would have the gumption to walk out of a Wal-Mart with a video game or a movie in your pocket and it's the same thing when copyrighted materials are distributed over the web. It's theft people.

You sir, WRONG! First i try then i buy. Would you go out and buy a car without driving it first? Thank you come again, and please say it again.

I only give my money to things that DESERVE to have it (except the government they don't deserve and i pay taxes). Its like food i only buy what i like and if i try it and i don't like it why i should buy it?

are you mad? get it real no one buys something with blinded eyes. Oh wait im wrong they do.

Julio said:
Though always a possibility, lawyers don't actually want to pursue legal action, they're just hoping to scare people into paying the settlement.

I have a very different view of lawyers involved in any case: this is how they make money. Legal action pays the bills and (typically) whether or not the case is successful, lawyers still make tons of money. I think they are in fact very motivated to be as litigious as possible.

Prosecuting companies and organizations on the other hand probably do feel as you suggest though. They would rather have the quick and easy money than drag out expensive legal fees in court. Then again, a lot of big companies have full-time lawyers on payroll. Hmmm. That may validate your point of view, actually.

Back