Overclock help needed - Q8200, fan, FBS, BIOS settings?

Hi everyone, this is going to be my virgin post (for the very first time!) so hopefully I'm doing this in the correct forum.

So my question is rather simple really, but any additional info you guys have could be helpful. I'll state first that I'm pretty new to overclocking. I've assembled this computer myself over a year ago (closing on two years soon) and I think back then I had overclocking in mind for the future, but it's been a bit long now and I've lost my memory. I think I might've had some help when choosing parts, however I did put the thing together myself. Nervously I might add.

To put it short I have no idea what sort of a cooler / fan I should be getting on this processor to make it stay cool and hopefully not too loud. Also I'm not sure if I need anything additional to make sure the OC is a good idea, like perhaps an even juicier PSU or better RAM. I'll also list my graphics card if that makes a difference.

I should note that I did infact try an OC. I got up to 3.3GHz but with over 70 degrees it soon become unstable in games and crashed, so in fear of doing harm to it I reverted back untill I would get a new cooler. I thought this forum has some great advice I could ask here. You guys seem to know what you're talking about.

Here's the setup:

• Mobo: Asus P5Q
  • Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Processor Q8200, 2.33 GHz, 4MB S775 - Stock cooler
  • PSU: Xilence, 700W, ATX 12V V2.2, 13 cm Fan REDWING
  • Ram: 2x 2GB 1066MHZ DDR2 CL5 5-5-5-15
  • Graphics card: Palit GF 8800 GT PCI-E 1 GB GDDR3 SUPER+
  • Case: Cm Centurion 534 Silver +

So I need some help in choosing a new cooler. Nothing too fancy though, just something that works and is 'affordable'. I'm not too techy, so try to use simple terms so I can catch up. I know I need to increase some Front Buffer Size in Bios but I've read some other topics stating that's not the only thing I should 'fu**' about with if I am to OC this. All help is greatly appreciated!

:)

EDIT: I suppose I should add 'why do I want to overclock it if it works', because it's a good question. I can run games fine now and it's been a great setup. However now I've found myself doing live streaming and encoding a live stream tends to eat up a lot of CPU. I use only one computer to both play a game and stream it, so all the extra juice is needed. Usually, depending on the game of course, the CPU is at 100% at all times.

What's affordable, how much are you looking to spend?

For a cheaper cooler I really like the Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro. Another good one is the Cooler Master Hyper 212.

Something to keep in mind is that overclocking is not going to free up CPU cycles. It'll make things run faster but if an application is currently taking 100% of your CPU, overclocking is not going to clear that up.

What's affordable, how much are you looking to spend?

For a cheaper cooler I really like the Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro. Another good one is the Cooler Master Hyper 212.

Something to keep in mind is that overclocking is not going to free up CPU cycles. It'll make things run faster but if an application is currently taking 100% of your CPU, overclocking is not going to clear that up.

Thank you! I will check both of those out. I was thinking of 40 to 50 bucks for a cooler if it's worth it. This is why I need the good advice these forums seem to have to help me choose. The 100% is not the game alone or the encoding software, it's usually both of them together that reaches the peak or close to the peak. It could always be that I've messed up in the encoder itself. I swear overclocking might be complex but atleast it makes sense. Trying to figure why an output resolution needs to be in the multiples of 16 and not compressed to not cause your computer to stutter for example... I still just call it magic.

I bought the Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Rev. 2

Now I just need a bit of help where to go next. What do I need to increase in BIOS. I know it's FSB and Vcore are the most important but DRAM needs some sort of tweaking too? I'm aiming to hopefully get this up to 3.3 GHz and stable in gaming. If not that high than just above 3 GHz and I've read some topics that state people have achieved that with this cooler.

Problem is I'm not so handy with BIOS and I can't see to find a guide how to do it for this motherboard and CPU step by step. :)

EDIT: So I've been reading that the multiplier for this particular CPU is 7x and can't be changed (which is why people don't like this particular CPU). I've read that getting your RAM and CPU 1:1 ratio is important, but math ain't my specialty and I couldn't figure out how this works. CPU-Z is saying my FSB:DRAM is at 5:6 right now and DRAM frequency at 400 MHz. When I bought my RAM I'm 100% sure they are 1066 MHz. Is this a bad thing? Here's some pictures.

img411.imageshack.us/img411/7379/cpuzmemory.jpg

This is what memory shows up. 400 MHz? I really need some good advice on this one.

img10.imageshack.us/img10/6020/cpuzidleb.jpg

This is my CPU at idle. I think this particular mobo lowers the multiplier at idle to 6x. However I've read that I should disable this when OCing to make sure I get real results when testing stability later on.

What type of FSB do should I go for to reach that? I've been reading so many forums already. My own cruching I came up with 152

Back