Overclocking 3500+

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dilmog

Hey, recently I have been trying to overclock my AMD 64 socket 939 3500+ Venice processor, but i can't get it past 2.4 GHZ. Anybody know of anything that I could do to get it to go further? Thanks!
System Specs
-Abit An8 SLI Motherboard
-2gb DDR 3200 RAM
-3500+ Venice Processor
-7800 GTX Video Card (256mb)
-500W Antec Smart Power PSU
-Stock Heatsink on the processor

Have you tried bumping the FSB a little at a time? Upping the ram speed a little at a time? You may want to go to the AMD website and get the stock voltage for the cpu. Same for the ram. Try 10 raise on FSB. (x4 would = a 40 mhz raise) Even try bumping the (entire) FSB figure by just 10mhz at a time. At the same time add 5 mhz to the total ram speed.

I suspect that your memory is holding you back. Put a 166MHz memory divider in there and slowly bring up your FSB or HTT to 219MHz as a test to see how far your processor will go.

I don't think that my bios really allows me to manipulate my memory very much, so how would I go about doing this?

I'm prety sure you'll find the memory frequency in your BIOS under Advanced Chipset Features > DRAM Configuration > DRAM Clock. You'll probably have to set DRAM Timing Selectable to "Manual" to release all of the timings your ram has and then you should be able to set the DRAM Clock to 166MHz. Currently your DRAM Clock should be set at 200MHz. You want to lower your ram speed so you can raise your processor speed without overclocking your memory. You will also want to set the HT Frequency to 4X so you don't overclock the HyperTransport. Just setting the DRAM Command Rate to 1T will make your computer faster than it is with everything set to auto.
To make your computer faster you will need to slowly move your HT upwards.

You really need to learn a bunch more about your equipment before you'll be able to do a simple overclock. There are many overclocking guides out there. Do a Google search to find them, but if you have specific questions I'll do my best to answer them.

Last night I got it up to 2.5GHz, which I consider to be pretty good, so I'm pretty happy with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back