Overclocking Celeron D processor became dud, suggestions to the problem?

L.Fluffy

I over-clocked a old celeron D 2.6GHz. after I over-clocked it the computer runs but wouldn't boot. tried clearing CMOS, disconnected the power from wall, PSU... nothing ever replaced RAM and CPU.

Just to make sure...killing the power to it for a few seconds won't clear the CMOS if there is a battery on the motherboard. If there's not a jumper to clear the CMOS then try unplugging it, taking the battery out for a few minutes then putting it all back together.

And also, in what way did you overclock? -what are the default values and what did you change, bus, multiplier, vCore, NB mem. speed..?

Just to make sure...killing the power to it for a few seconds won't clear the CMOS if there is a battery on the motherboard. If there's not a jumper to clear the CMOS then try unplugging it, taking the battery out for a few minutes then putting it all back together.
I've tried that, still no boot-up, it runs but that's about it.

And also, in what way did you overclock? -what are the default values and what did you change, bus, multiplier, vCore, NB mem. speed..?
I changed the bus speed from 133 MHz to 333MHz.

I changed the bus speed from 133 MHz to 333MHz.

Oh...no wonder that it won't boot then :/ Mostly bus speed is "linked" to the memory speed so when you change the bus speed then also the memory speed increases...that's what makes the computer unstable and if changed too much (set too high) then it won't boot at all. When you overclock try to stick to the multiplier as far as possible ;)
Personally before I do any changes to the bios I check everything to see/get a baseline (write down on paper vCores n stuff) and then I go from there...do the main OC with the multiplier and then fine tune with the bus speed...and if the system gets unstable then I increase the vCore slightly to see if it helps :)

But anyways...back to the topic... some systems can "take" power from the network- and display cables also (like a few selected old Dell desktops) so just to make sure, disconnect everything and remove the bios battery for a while and then retry :)

Oh...no wonder that it won't boot then :/ Mostly bus speed is "linked" to the memory speed so when you change the bus speed then also the memory speed increases...that's what makes the computer unstable and if changed too much (set too high) then it won't boot at all. When you overclock try to stick to the multiplier as far as possible ;)
Personally before I do any changes to the bios I check everything to see/get a baseline (write down on paper vCores n stuff) and then I go from there...do the main OC with the multiplier and then fine tune with the bus speed...and if the system gets unstable then I increase the vCore slightly to see if it helps :)

But anyways...back to the topic... some systems can "take" power from the network- and display cables also (like a few selected old Dell desktops) so just to make sure, disconnect everything and remove the bios battery for a while and then retry :)
Thanks, it this works you're a life saver thanks for the tips as well, much appreciated :)

Thanks, it this works you're a life saver thanks for the tips as well, much appreciated :)

There is more where that came from ;) ...if you plan on getting a new rig then look for a CPU with an unlocked multiplier even tho I think that almost all new (not the cheapest ones tho) CPUs has it unlocked by default :)

There is more where that came from ;) ...if you plan on getting a new rig then look for a CPU with an unlocked multiplier even tho I think that almost all new (not the cheapest ones tho) CPUs has it unlocked by default :)
In the near future I do plan on upgrading, deciding whether or not to go AMD or Intel.
In currently running a Intel E2200 @2.51GHz I've successfully clocked this PC, heating is my only issue, if I push the clock speed to 2.91GHz it becomes extremely sensitive with heat

Last Intel I had was an old Core2Duo at 2.66GHz back in 2004 I think...but the mobo that I had needed a bios update to support the cpu but then again the modo didn't "recognize" the bios update...so I had to downgrade to a Celeron D @2.8GHz :/
I have had most success in OCing AMD cpus, at the moment I'm running an AMD Phenom II 555 which is unlocked to QuadCore and overclocked to 4GHz and that's not even the roof for the OC :p ...or I was running that until my mobo died -___-
Anyways...I'm thinking of going back to Intel again but before I do that I need to do some research...I have heard that the 2600k and the 2700k would be good but I was thinking of just going over to some a 3930K or a 3960X...even tho that's also gonna take some time, first I need a new car :p

AMD's bulldozer processor is something to have a look at as well, octa core V/S Intel i7 hexa core for instance the AMD FX 8150 http://www.techpowerup.com/img/12-05-28/202a.jpg (note that this OC allows for only 2 cores though). well I'd say look around and see which one has the best reviews. Yeah I know what you mean, I have to have my car fixed first before I upgrade anything :S had a accident last weekend... there goes my new PC for now :/. Interesing you mention the Celeron down grade.. I tried upgrading my dads Pentium 4 @ 3GHz to a Dual Core @ 1.8GHz refused to boot

AMD's bulldozer processor is something to have a look at as well, octa core V/S Intel i7 hexa core for instance the AMD FX 8150 http://www.techpowerup.com/img/12-05-28/202a.jpg (note that this OC allows for only 2 cores though). well I'd say look around and see which one has the best reviews. Yeah I know what you mean, I have to have my car fixed first before I upgrade anything :S had a accident last weekend... there goes my new PC for now :/. Interesing you mention the Celeron down grade.. I tried upgrading my dads Pentium 4 @ 3GHz to a Dual Core @ 1.8GHz refused to boot

I have been looking at them but then in all reviews say that i7 is way more better than the bulldozers. Then there is also one other little thing, there isn't like almost any software out there that takes full advantage of all 8 cores :/

Lucky for me I didn't crash my car...I just need one more :p

Rub it in :) good luck with the car hunting and in that case you answered my question about the AMD or Intel.

If I'm right only the Intel chips with a "K" suffix has an unlocked multiplier (newer chips I mean, older ones are all multiplier locked except the Extreme Editions).

Older computers are great to experiment with. The added bonus is that they tend to fry easier as well, so if you can't fry those, chances are you won't be able to fry the newer ones. Just stay clear of voltages if you're unsure (trebling your voltage like you did the FSB there is a sure way to sizzle some silicone).

p.s. Burnt silicone is carcinogenic.

Back