Overclocking core i5 3450

ViperCDX

Hi,can I overclock i5 3450 from 3.1 ghz to at least 3.2 ghz with using only the stock cpu cooler?
I am using gigabyte b75d3h
I know the following points:-
1.3450 is "non-K" hence cannot be efficiently OCed
2.b75 is not suitable for OCing
3.only 0.1ghz increase wont bring any major improvement :D

I am doing doing it only for fun!
Also if I successfully OC to 3.2 ghz then will it perform like a 3470?

Thanks in advance

Yes, that much of an overclock should not bring any major heat problems.

It's going to be a challenge without an unlocked chip, but you should be able to do it with. Happy overclocking :d

With the specs I've read on the two, besides the boost function it should perform on the same level.

It will do one of 2 things.

1: there will be 4 little windows open, one or possibly all will return something like ERROR: and say a message. Normally means you need a tad more voltage.

2: Worst case, computer will totally freeze (but that would mean a severely unstable overclock.

@cliffordcooley- yes I know that,but I am not OCing for performance improvement,just doing it for fun
0.1 ghz increase would not harm my pc I guess!

Overclocking for fun? If you're not doing it to net any performance then it isn't worth it.Of course, 0.1 increase will not do any significant damage. But, if it's not for more performance why even risk it?

I am making sure I can do this before OCing it more more aggresively using an after market cooler
Also bcoz my friend has i5 3470 which has 3.2 ghz clock and he constantly pinches me about his clock speed being higher than mine!

I could not overclock it :(

this is a screenshot of youtube vid ,the only option you can select is "advanced cpu core features" and once you enter it you cannot change the "cpu clock ratio" !1.png 2.png

The 3470 is only a .1GHz increase, so yes it will perform equally. Keep in mind though, the 3470 will be more "stable" than a OCed 3450, even if it is only .1GHz. I think you should have fun with the overclock the reset the defaults in the BIOS. Then turn off Turbo boost. It will make the 3450's clock speeds go from 3.1GHz to 3.5 GHz.

Ah you can't change the frequency, you are correct. However, there is one other way, you can change the ratio and adjust the speed. Beat in mind though when playing with the ratios, that also messes with the ram, so you need to also make sure your ram is stable after messing with that (though a minor change should not affect anything).

@jc713- how to reset the default?
I have enabled turbo boost (it was auto) now CPU-Z shows 3292 mhz,thats 3.2 ghz,right?

@cliffordcooley- you mean cpu base clock=100 mhz given in the 1st screenshot ?
nothing happens when I click enter !

In order:

Yes, if your reading 3295 megahertz that 3.295Ghz

When changing ratios, you normally on many motherboards can't just enter a number at least that I've tried. Try highlighting the number in the bios and hitting + on the keyboard to increase or minus to decrease it. Looking at the screenshot, the ratio to me does not look locked and normally that isn't locked even on non-k models.

@ghostryder- hitting the + key has no effect ,I have tried it !
btw,if u find any article about overclocking on GA-B75-D3H ,please let me know! ;)

Yea my bad, I misread what motherboard you had so by the sound of things you can't change the frequency or ratios.

However, I was reading a quick article
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/282295-29-overclock-3450
This may help as it has some details on gigabyte boards and the 3450 overclocking. The only thing I was able to see that they could change was the boost clock.

I hope this helps!

@jc713- how to reset the default?
I have enabled turbo boost (it was auto) now CPU-Z shows 3292 mhz,thats 3.2 ghz,right?

Yes that is 3.2 GHz. You just have to reset the BIOS to default. Turn of Turbo boost and it will make the CPU perform at 3.5GHz constantly.

Back