Overclocking GTX 660

ViperCDX

Hi, is it safe to overclock a zotac gtx 660 on a b75 gigabyte mother board without a gpu cooler?

Yes, but GPU coolers are sort of all unique. I assume you have the Zotac GPU cooler that came with your GPU, which is a perfectly good cooler. GPU coolers are not swapped out nearly as often as CPU coolers.

But to answer your first question, yes, you can go ahead and overclock, as long as your temperatures are reasonable.

I once overclocked my gpu, it's base clock was 992 mhz and I overclocked to 1100 mhz using evga precision, but surprisingly my 3dmark score decreased and showed my base clock as 553 mhz instead of 1100 mhz, why?

Hmmm, I have no idea, that seems very strange. I would give it a go again and see if you get the same results. Make sure to overclock incrementally and test your temperatures and stability at each interval.

Ok, I think I would give it a try again!
It increased my fps in AC 3 by 3-4 fps but the game crashed rarely :(

Yeah, crashes are bad, and probably mean you're pushing the GPU a little hard. The best way to do it is to increase by a small increment, and then run FurMark to test your stability.

Core clock of 1046 MHz and Boost clock of 1111 MHz on the Zotac GTX 660 AMP! edition. If you have a similar card with the 2 fans on it, then you are safe to over clock to that level.

Core clock of 1046 MHz and Boost clock of 1111 MHz is a stable overclock. The AMP! edition is basically your card with a factory Overclock. You can achieve the same overclock.

How much increase in mhz should I make to the clock speeds each time and check for artifacts?
if I do achieve core and boost clocks as u have suggested ,then how much increase in performance in games should I notice?

You may notice a little performance boost from OCing the graphics card. If you wanna test to see if the overclock is stable, run Unigine Heaven for a few hours and see if it crashes your PC. Or you can run FurMark to stress test.

Back