Overclocking i7 860

By Zecias
Nov 17, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. i have a radeon HD 5870, 6gb ddr3 1333mhz, and a liquid cooled i7 860.
    id like to know what i have to do to overclock my cpu to at least 3.5 ghz up to 4.0 ghz(from what ive heard 3.5 is safe with a stock cooler and 4.0 should be fine with lquid cooling and wont use too much voltage). i would like it if i could overclock it so that my cpu wont bottleneck my gpu, however much that is.

i bought my computer from alienware, so some of the properties in the BIOs are locked and i have a bad stock motherboard.
    if i need to change the voltage to get the oc i want, how do i check the voltage limit for my mother board?
    can i get a new BIOs for the alienware's intel stock motherboard?
    if so, where?
    or do i have to buy a new motherboard?

thanks for yur help in advance!
  2. JMMD

JMMD TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,177

What do you mean by "I have a bad stock motherboard"?
    Which options in the BIOS are locked?
  3. Zecias

Zecias TechSpot Booster Topic Starter Posts: 202

ive heard alot of people saying that alienware uses intel's stock motherboard, like $50 motherboards. they might be wrong, but it was hard to find any information about what motherboard alienware uses so i wouldn't doubt it(the only information i got was that they use x58 architecture thats compatible with i7s).

i don't exactly remember, but there were alot of voltages i couldnt change. i can change the base clock, multiplier, and the memory timings.
    im gonna go check after this post.

EDIT: this is what i can configure
    general:
    memory ratio
    multiplier
    DMI ratio
    dRAM configuration:
    tCL
    tRCP
    tRP
    tRAS
    tRFC
    tWR
    tWTR
    tRRD
    tRTP
    1T/2T timing
    overclock configuration:
    BLCK
    PCI-E frequency
    spread spectrum
    overvoltage configuration:
    DDR3 memory voltage
    Dynamic CPU Vcore offset
    DMI and Uncore Voltage

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.