Overclocking problem

By >Minus<
Aug 28, 2005
  1. hi

Erm basically.. my computer keeps having error's saying "overclocking failed" and stuff like that. But the problem is.. i havent knowingly overclocked my cpu.. if i have.. how do i turn it off? its totally mashing up my computer lol.

Any help would be appreciated!

2. vegasgmc

vegasgmc TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,377

Post your system specs.
  3. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 6,000   +15

many motherboards automatically overclock a small amount. Go into BIOS and turn it off. If your CPU is super-locked, you won't be able to use this feature, so just turn it off.

My MSI K7N2 delta 2 platinum board does this. It will not overclock with the current CPU. The previous CPU I was able to overclock.

Just remember, overclocking is risky and will void any warranty on your CPU.
  4. >Minus<

>Minus< TS Rookie Topic Starter

My spec is:

Asus K8V SE Motherboard
    AMD Athlon 64 Winchester 3000+ (2ghz)
    2 Sticks of 512mb RAM
    80 and 30 GB Maxtor HDD
    ATI Radeon 9600XT 256mb GFX card.

Btw.. on the bios where and how would i turn it off??
  5. Tedster

If your motherboard supports dynamic overclocking, then there should be an option somewhere listed in the BIOS. Most MSI motherboards have this. I'm not sure for ASUS. RTFM.
  6. >Minus<

Ye under bios i could change the CPU speed.. its max is 2000mhz i put it down to 1800mhz jus to see if there was any difference, but it still suddenly crashes while im playing counter-strike or listening to music on winamp. and then says "overclocking failed" on the error screen =/
  7. Tedster

set it for the fail safe default and see what happens. If you have dynamic overclocking, turn it off.
  8. >Minus<

Yeh i set it back to the default settings.. and still the problem is there. I disabled AMD Cool & Quiet technology thing.. it seems to crash faster when that is disabled. could it be that the cpu is overheating?
  9. Tedster

I wouldn't disable any cool and quiet settings. Have you swapped out the memory for known good memory?
  10. >Minus<

ye i sent it to microdirect, n they patched it all up. tested with kingston and elixer brand memory, both work the same. so i got the elixer one. so i dnt think its the memory. but i cud b wrong lol
  11. Tedster

It's generally not a good idea to mix brands of memory. But if they work, that's great.
  12. >Minus<

no no, i mean that it was tested with 2 sticks of kingston, and 2 sticks of elixer. both on separate occations. so now i have 2 sticks of 512mb elixer in my pc.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.