Overclocking Q6600 to 3.6-3.8ghz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gregole

Currently planning on ocing my comp cause I encode videos alot. My cpu is sitting right now at 3.2ghz watercooled. One thing I found weird in my bios setting is that my GTLVREF Lane 1 is automatically set to 90mv while other lanes are set to 0mv.

Specs:
Q6600 currently @3.2ghz (G0, 1.3250 VID)
EVGA 750i FTW
Corsair Dominator 2x 2GB (TWIN2X4096-8500C5DF) @ 1066mhz

I have my dual boot Vista 64bit and Windows 7 64bit Q6600 OC'd to 3.5GHz. Vista will let me go higher but Windows 7 won't. I use a ZeroTherm Nervana, no watercool

I also have my Q6600 set to 3.2Ghz, comfortably on liquid. I've pushed it further but the insignificant increase in performance wasn't worth the extra heat. You're not going to notice a whole lot once you exceed 3Ghz, especially on a 65nm quad. I'm actually quite surprised you got the chip to where it is on an nvidia 750i chipset of all platforms. I had no luck at all when I was using one, EVGA must make a pretty stable board...

@EXCellR8, is your stepping different from his? That may explain the different OCing potential.

@OP, I agree with EXCellR8, 3.2GHz is fast enough for a 65nm quad-core CPU to not bottleneck anything and be fast enough for almost all games and apps.

According to my huge-*** thermometer, my room temp is about close to 32*C/88*F. Currently my cpu temp is 42*C and motherboard at 46*C. I did however manage to reach 3.6 ghz and play games on it without crashing, using intel burn test and/or prime95 causes it to either close the program/freeze /and BSOD. Using 3DMark Vantage, I got a 14020 score ( 25628 CPU | 12181 GPU)

@Gregole
Wow 88F in your room, your computer is probably contributing to that room temp. What cooler are you using.

Well at first I thought it was my computer. One factor that seriously is the cause is that the sun is directly facing my window. Also I also have small room. I use an HAF 932 case (2 front fan pushing air in, 4 side panel fan pushing air in, 1 fan on the back pushing air out and on top 4 fan on a radiator doing a push/pull method)

I have the G0 stepping as well, but i think my failed attempt to overclock it on the 750i platform was due to the ASUS P5N-D being the worst motherboard I have ever dealt with. So bad that I did away with nvidia chipsets altogether. EVGA must put a lot of dedicated hardware into their "FTW" series of boards, because the northbridge on the P5N was became blisteringly-hot, even when I watercooled it. On top of that the driver support was just abysmal, so I'm much happier with an X48 anyways.

How is that HAF case btw? I've been looking into maybe getting one of them for awhile now...

For the HAF case

Pros
Case is really big (duh)
Good airflow
Cheap (At least I bought it cheap)
Built in fill port

Cons:
Made of steel (heavy)
The 3 240mm fan doesn't push much air in but its silent.
Motherboard tray isn't removable

You can replace the fans if you dont like it.

1x 120mm fan in front
4x 120mm fan on side panel
1x 140/120mm fan on the rear
3x 120mm fan on top
Optional 2x 120 mm fan on the bottom if you decide to install a power supply on the top of the case but that makes only 1 usable 120mm fan on top

I didnt like the 3 240mm fan so I attached them together and turned them to a window fan.

What about dust consumption? I've heard a lot of people saying how much it collects even with fan filters. Can you shed some light on that or are you one of those people who somehow manage to live dust-free? :haha:

I wouldn't say the case being crafted of steel over aluminum is a con, I would much rather have a more solid case and take the additional weight any day. A lot of companies make cheapo cases so that's a definite plus for me. I might consider one for my next build; I'm too lazy to rebuild my current setup and rethink my liquid cooling accordingly...

Yes its true about the case's lack of dust filters.Well no matter how good the dust filter can filter dust, it cannot filter all dust. For me before watercooling the only thing that collects so much dust was my Thermalright heatsink that uses 2 120mm fans for my cpu. I haven't checked my radiator for dust yet since its sandwiched between 4 120mm fans. Dust really depends on the living environment. I can easily clean dust on my computer using air pressure (not canned ones, the noisy ones your plug on the outlet).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back