Overclocking Q6600

Status
Not open for further replies.

gabrielhobro

Can anybody tell me give a short guide on how I can overclock the Intel Quad Core Q6600 processor using a Tuniq Tower 120. This is with a Gigabyte P45 UD3, and 3.25Gb of 1066MHz of Ram. I am a complete beginner in the art of overclocking so please be thorough in your explanation. You can find specs of my PC in the Gaming thread of these forums. Thanks.

You should start by bumping the fsb up in increments of 10. You wont get too far though. when it becomes unstable increase your vcore +.05 volts. I dont think you're going to get higher than 3.2Ghz or so. Its a tedious process. Trying to keep your temps in check in your main issue

There is a program that came with my mobo cLled eSytune 6. One of the preset overcoocks is to 3.2 and tyT puts the CPU temp to 40Celcius. Is that a safe temperTure when idle( not running any programs)

I'd check for the 100% load temp, 40 is within limits, but you don't want to exceed 65 on full load.

yes, what redk said is true, you want to run prime 95, google it for download, run small ffs when you start it up, this will get your cpu to 100% load or very close. If you're 55~c at full load you could increase the front side bus a little and check for stability afterwards.

Overclocking the Q6600.

Download Prime95 and check the temp. Intel's thermal spesification says 71 degrees celcius. What kind of stepping you got? If you got the G0 stepping you'll defiantely reach higher than 3.2 Ghz.

I have the G0 stepping, and i'm running 3.2 GHz @ 1.29 vcore with stock cooler. Idle temps are around 30, full load temperature after Prime95 is about 60-61 degrees. It has alot of potensial!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back