overclocking the 7800gt

By ArchVile
Jan 25, 2006
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oaky i know that my xfx card comes factory overclocked, but its apparently got good leyway in overclocking even higher. what program should i use for overclocking this card?
  2. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso Newcomer, in training Posts: 25,948   +17

You need the Coolbits programme.

Take a look HERE for further info.

Regards Howard :)
  3. YellowC4S

YellowC4S Newcomer, in training Posts: 125

4. Exscind

Exscind Newcomer, in training Posts: 38

There are numerous programs to overclock with. Coolbits, Rivatuner, ATI Tools (can use with nVIDIA card too) are a few out there on the Internet.

To simplify, never overclock more than 5-10MHz at a time. Say you have 400/1100. Overclock to 410/1110 and benchmark to test. Two ways to test stability and make sure there's no tears or screen doing funny things: 1) Play a game of your choosing (preferably high-stressing games like Quake 4 or something). 2) Benchmark softwares like 3DMark01SE, 3DMark03, 3DMark05, 3DMark06 are really good at stressing your video card to the max.

Rinse and repeat. When you're satisfied with your final core/memory, run 3DMark (05 or 06) a couple of times; if the computer didn't freeze and go crazy, you're pretty much set.
  5. mastronaut

mastronaut TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 185

Wow! That card isn't fast enough for you??? I'll never understand why people want to kill the lifespan of a card so sweet (unless you've got $ to burn).
    Alot of us would sell a lung to have one of those bad boys! Oh well, to each his (her) own I guess... :dead:
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.