Overheating computer... replacing fans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I know this question has been asked a thousands times before but I can't find it.

My computer temp usually runs at 75 F during normal internet use and up to 84 or 90 F while playing games (depending on the type of games)

Today I noticed that my computer was running at 82 F during normal use and since my room was pretty cool; all but a bit of sunlight coming into the room I figured that I had too much dust; so I took off the case and cleaned the fans. But it only made it worst. Now my computer is running at 84 -88 and sometimes 90 F during normal internet use. I think the problem was that the fans spinned during the cleaning which did something for the computer to overheat the way its doing. I have no idea. I was wondering if replacing the fans will solve this problem or is there another problem that caused the over heating. Any suggestions please.

Thank you!

Most speeds are posted in Celsius. Most boards and cpu's will tolerate a temperature of 62 degrees Celsius. That would be in the range of 143-144 Farenheit, which gives you plenty of room.
Be sure you have the thinest, best quality thermal paste you can locate. A thick layer of thermal paste can act as an insulator and actually allow higher temperatures.
If you are dissatisfied with the temperatures, consider changing the heat sink and cpu fan combination... as the case fans have little effect on CPU temperatures.

The cheapest thing you can try (less than 15 dollars) is just reseating your cpu fan with a new coat of paste, it helped me may be it can help you.
After a couple of years the paste gets woren out or damaged if you mess with the cooler like i did once (I took out the cooler to see what a processor looked like and put it back on with the old paste)
my factory fan dropped temps from 55 to 45 idle and from 65 to 60 load with zalman STG1

replacing the fan does help thou i dropped temps yet again with a new fanheatsink (zalman CNPS9000) to 35idle/37normal/40load

you lost me when you said "I think the problem was that the fans spinned during the cleaning which did something for the computer to overheat the way its doing."
i dont really understand

PS its a very tedious process and theres steps and precautions you must take if you are going to try it
And you need to have some skill and be very careful since you can damage your parts in the process

here are some guides to show you what i am talking about

best one i found here (they cover a lot of different and specific cpus plus common mistakes so read it all!)
a simple one here

Hi!

thanks for your suggestions. What I meant by the fans spinning is that I recently read a computer cleaning article that said to make sure you hold the fans while cleaning them so that they don't spin, if you do you can damage them or something. I got this computer about 5 months ago so it isn't that old. I don't want to do anything drastic like removing the cooling system and adding paste et al because everything was in place while I was cleaning and I didn't use any solution nor did I place anything wet inside of it. But maybe that could help.

Thanks!

Im sorry i misread the temps i was talking about Celsius not Fahrenheit if those are Fahrenheit like it says then they are great temps i feel stupid

Those temperatures are not HIGH... they are perhaps even a bit below average for an active gamer.

Sorry, I didn't see that he had corrected his post.
Yep, he has real trouble, probably unresolvable.

Okay if it isn't too high then why did it suddenly change so much to begin with. I have a Vigor gaming computer with Moonson II cooling. The temps have always stayed the same and now suddenly it's spiked up the way it did. It had me worried. Would applying the thermal paste at least bring it back down to the way it was before, or is it normal for it to just spike up for no reason after a few months of using it?

Purely Academia.......

The only logical reason I can come up with for not permitting the fan to turn while cleaning is this; when an electric motor is turned by an outside force, it becomes an electric generator. Accordingly, if the fan (motor) is turned too rapidly, the voltage it then produces could possibly damage other things it it's connected circuitry, due to excessive voltage or reversed polarity.

Static electricity is at risk of being generated, and static electricity will destroy the cpu... as well as a lot of other stuff. If you clean the fan with the power unplugged, and use denatured alcohol in a qTip, you will not have a problem.

Hi. Thaks for the replies, I know I've been a bother but at least I have an idea of what could have happened. I had the computer unplugged and everything but in the middle of cleaning it I blowed on the fans like an ***** to get the dust out, the fans did turn for a while and pretty fast cause I wanted to make sure I got as much as I could out and that they were turning fine. It must have generated some static electricity and raised the temps of my computer. Sigh. I guess there is no way of fixing this. I feel like a freaking *****.

Thanks everyone.

Don't worry

Bella...don't worry about your change in numbers, and don't feel stupid about what you did, as I feel you are wrongly attributing the temp change to what you did. While blowing an unstopped fan can produce a voltage, the odds are it won't harm a thing. But in the future do try and use a plastic item (pen, toothbrush handle) or similar item to stop the fan blades when you blow them out. Try NOT to use a metal item.

If your PC is truly running those temps in Fareinheit you are in great shape as that is the low end of the temp scale on a PC, Check to make sure you are not truly reading Celsius.

Lastly, changes to startup software (software running at startup), spyware or anything added to your PC (known install or not) can increase CPU usage which will result in a rise in temperature. Even a change in your game (especially online games with frequent updates) can up your CPU load and raise the temp. World of Warcraft is notorious for this...game just keeps getting more CPU intensive (and Graphics processor as well). A hard drive that runs alot can also increase case temperatures which in turn can increase CPU temperature. I would lay money one of the above is what affected your temps.

Lastly, if you had created harmful static, the odds are your PC wouldnt run properly at all now, memory problems would probably be the first to arise. So until your PC starts throwing a fit, or the temps get to high (like over 130 F on the processor), I would NOT worry about it. Sounds to me like there is nothing needed to be fixed, so keep on gaming gal :)

last spam I hope...this is SO stupid, i registered with my email, just let me send a friggin message unimpeded

Thank you for the advice.

Everything is still running fine and I'm still gaming. I was told that it was unusual for it to run that high in one day and since it happened after I cleaned the fans it made me paranoid. :) But I'm no longer worried about it. Everything is okay.

Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back