Overheating issue with new laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently bought myself a new laptop (Gateway C-143XL) and it works great, although when it's in power saver mode the fans tend not to turn on as often, which saves power. I've been noticing that it gets quite hot after being in use for a few hours, and that the fans don't turn on often enough in power saver.

What I'd like to know is if they'res any program available to make your fans go on more often, without getting rid of the other aspects of powersaver.
On a full charge in powersaver my comp tends to have about 5 hours b4 dying out, i would be fine losing an hour or so if it ment no more overheating.

I'd like to note, when in performance mode(plugged in) this isn't an issue as the computer's fans go on often enough. Well the main fan/fans are on all the time, just not always going hardcore enough.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you for your time.

You could give SpeedFan a try, I use it to read CPU/GPU temperatures, and it's supposed to be able to control fan speeds also, although I haven't been able to use that feature on my laptop.

You could give SpeedFan a try, I use it to read CPU/GPU temperatures, and it's supposed to be able to control fan speeds also, although I haven't been able to use that feature on my laptop.

Thanks, ima try that out and see how it goes.

Let the computer decide when it is too hot, as long as your cooling channels and fan are clean. SpeedFan is accurate enough, but can be off by as much as 4c. You can use it as a guide. As long as you are not over 64c, you are ok.

raybay is right, the computer can decide when it's too hot, most modern laptops (I guess ALL modern laptops) turn themselves off if it gets to hot. (BTW my laptop CPU (Core2Duo) can handle temperatures up to 99ºC, at 100ºC it turns itself off.

If you use your laptop as a laptop (I mean you have it on your lap...) you normally feel the heat much more than if it's placed on a desk, and also the heat may not be dissipated that easily.

But in short: If it doesn't suddenly shut itself off, it's not too hot.

raybay is right, the computer can decide when it's too hot, most modern laptops (I guess ALL modern laptops) turn themselves off if it gets to hot. (BTW my laptop CPU (Core2Duo) can handle temperatures up to 99ºC, at 100ºC it turns itself off.

If you use your laptop as a laptop (I mean you have it on your lap...) you normally feel the heat much more than if it's placed on a desk, and also the heat may not be dissipated that easily.

But in short: If it doesn't suddenly shut itself off, it's not too hot.

The problem is just that, it shuts itself off, what I want is it not shutting itself off. I'm often switching class' and i can't be bothered to shut it off in between. When i close it, it's goes into standby, but still tends to crash.

I've also been getting blue screen while rotating the screen but i assume that's simply because i demand to much at once

You could try to clean the fan, but be sure you know what you're doing if you open up the computer. And check your warranty, sometimes it's not valid anymore if you open your laptop yourself. My laptop was full of dust after only 5 months of use!

You could try to clean the fan, but be sure you know what you're doing if you open up the computer. And check your warranty, sometimes it's not valid anymore if you open your laptop yourself. My laptop was full of dust after only 5 months of use!

I don't think it would be dust, i've had this comp for maby a month and a half. But I'll try cleaning it out.

Also, speedfan doesn't allow me to change fan speeds but it does monitor the heat of my comp, so it can serve as a guide of sorts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back