PlayStation 5 DIY tablet project successfully explores an untested form factor

Daniel Sims

Staff
In context: A new video from DIY Perks shows that, while it's possible to rebuild a PS5 into a technically portable device, it comes with significant caveats. Such demonstrations explain why mobile systems aren't nearly as powerful as the latest consoles.

Devices like the Nintendo Switch, Steam Deck, and PlayStation Portal demonstrate the demand for hardware that can play high-end games on the go. However, portable options that support the latest AAA titles are slim. Matt Perks from DIY Perks tried to address the issue by testing whether the PlayStation 5 hardware could fit into a portable form factor.

Perks begins by highlighting how small the PS5's motherboard is compared to the rest of the console. While he admits that the chipset could never fit into portable machines like the Switch or Steam Deck, he explores the idea of a larger tablet-like device.

The video quickly reveals that the PS5's size, which users often complain of, comes primarily from its cooling apparatus and power supply. Perks completely redesigned the former by placing two new copper heat sinks on the sides of the central unit, rerouting custom heat pipes toward them, home-cooking some nickel plating, and adding an array of smaller fans. The result kept the system cool enough that he could downclock the fans for quieter operation.

Adding a 4K OLED panel was almost enough to turn the PS5 into a portable system, but Perks couldn't find a battery to power the 200-watt device. For comparison, the Steam Deck uses less than one-tenth the juice, and its battery lasts only a few hours. Thus, the PS5 tablet requires an external power supply and an outlet. There's just no way around it.

Still, the prototype console comfortably fits into a backpack. It functions perfectly on a countertop, potentially increasing the number of places where users can enjoy games like Horizon: Forbidden West or Gran Turismo 7. It's difficult to say how much more efficient an official take on this concept from Sony would be or how much it would cost. The form factor sits somewhere between a (very thick) tablet and a high-end gaming laptop, suggesting a price well into the triple-digits.

Another one of the project's successes is that, regardless of portability, the custom PS5 is significantly smaller than the official version, proving that Sony could shrink the console more than it has. In 2022, Perks managed a more dramatic size reduction using liquid cooling, but his latest attempt is arguably a more remarkable triumph by retaining cheaper traditional cooling.

Permalink to story.

I mean when I used to LAN game I took a mini-tower PC and just mounted a small monitor on the side of it plus a handle on top and VOILA I had a portable gaming rig that I could set up on whatever bridge table or counter space a friend had and game.

Basically what happened here with a lot of extra steps.

Just take that monitor and attach it to the side of a PS5 and congrats, you have a "portable" PS5!

Neat DIY project.

Out of curiosity I wonder what a similarly powered gaming laptop would cost and what its power usage would be.

I mean when I used to LAN game I took a mini-tower PC and just mounted a small monitor on the side of it plus a handle on top and VOILA I had a portable gaming rig that I could set up on whatever bridge table or counter space a friend had and game.

Basically what happened here with a lot of extra steps.

Just take that monitor and attach it to the side of a PS5 and congrats, you have a "portable" PS5!
There is a massive difference between mounting a monitor on a PS5 and what DIY Perks did. It's as if you didn't watch the video and have no idea how much smaller his portable version is over the standard version. His version is probably half the volume of the stock PS5 and that's with the integrated OLED display.

Here's an idea. Why not skip the hardware butchery in this story and just stream your game to a portable device? Just because something is difficult doesn't mean you should do it or that it makes any sense. Even if I were traveling to a location without any internet support it isn't such a big deal to take my PS5 along with a portable monitor. The 15 inch portable monitor I'm using is only 5mm thick unlike the Frankenputer in this story.

Here's an idea. Why not skip the hardware butchery in this story and just stream your game to a portable device? Just because something is difficult doesn't mean you should do it or that it makes any sense. Even if I were traveling to a location without any internet support it isn't such a big deal to take my PS5 along with a portable monitor. The 15 inch portable monitor I'm using is only 5mm thick unlike the Frankenputer in this story.

You don't seem to realise how ridiculously sized a PS5 is

I much rather bring that than a PS5 and a monitor.

But it really begs the question, why not something similar for PC? I will say it how it is, this is an All-in-One. For the life of me, I actually don't understand why such a form factor is hardly ever explored for the gaming market. Like handheld and laptops will always be limited due to size and weight. But an integrated system aren't necessarily restricted by it.

Yes, I am literally asking for a case with a monitor; heck, it could just be a Vesa mount. We have RGB, TG, all these essentially useless shebang, and then obsession over miniscule gain in performance. But utility? PC apart from a few ITX never bothered to get away from metal-box-on-the-desk; few even bother with fitting well with a TV stand.

Back