Overheating problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

D347H

Hey everyone. I am having some issues with my PC lately. The problem is : All my PC games lag constantly, both offline and online. Games that I played flawlessly before now lag, even the older ones like Freelancer for instance. My BIOS shows 70°-75°C CPU temp which is most likely the problem.

I have tried:

- Reformatting my HDD.
- Checking for malware with various tools such as : HijackThis, SmitFraudFix, Nod32, Malwarebytes anti-malware.
- Updating Direct X.
- Downgrading and updating video drivers.
- Reformatting my HDD using: Built in Disk Defragmenter, Auslogics Disk Defrag.
- Checking my HDD with built in disk checker and TuneUp Disk Doctor.
- Testing my RAM several times with Memtest.
- Running with only 1 RAM module and switching with the other one.
- Cleaning the fans and heatsinks on GPU, CPU and Northbridge.
- Replacing Thermal Paste on all three of them.
- Cleaning the slots.
- Leaving the case open while running.
- Disabling and removing my Sound Card.

It is possible that I have overlooked something while doing this so please, any kind of advice will be appreciated.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that watching videos on my PC also isn't as good as before and it is choppy when in full screen.

No question, it's overheating. You've probably have surpassed the threshold of software you can run on your system without needing more cooling. Current installed software gets larger with updates and newer versions a 2 to 4 times largers. Consequently, you system runs a lot more software which generates a lot more heat. My step-fathers computer started crashing on anti-virus scans because the detections rules were twice as large as when he initially bought the computer. The scans took twice as long and the system overheated.

I'd suggest, if you have't already, add a "system fan". Basically, you add a second fan at the vent in the back of the chassis. Your CPU fan helps draw heat off the heatsink on your CPU but the chamber can't vent the hot air fast enough. The second "system fan" helpe evacuate the chamber.

Repost if this isn't a solution.

-- Andy

No question, it's overheating. You've probably have surpassed the threshold of software you can run on your system without needing more cooling. Current installed software gets larger with updates and newer versions a 2 to 4 times largers. Consequently, you system runs a lot more software which generates a lot more heat. My step-fathers computer started crashing on anti-virus scans because the detections rules were twice as large as when he initially bought the computer. The scans took twice as long and the system overheated.

I'd suggest, if you have't already, add a "system fan". Basically, you add a second fan at the vent in the back of the chassis. Your CPU fan helps draw heat off the heatsink on your CPU but the chamber can't vent the hot air fast enough. The second "system fan" helpe evacuate the chamber.

Repost if this isn't a solution.

-- Andy

Well, considering that I have ran it normally before on much higher load for 2 years and even after the reformat, when I tested it with only video drivers installed it still wasn't stable so there isn't much chance that the problem lies there.
I can try adding another fan but that will have to wait a bit for now.

Thank you for your response.

You cans also check the heatsink. Make sure it's making contact with the CPU. Usually there is thermal paste or thermal tape. If there is even a crack of air separating the two, the heatsink stops working and your system overheats.

It's overheating, we just need to figure out where it's happening.

-- Andy

You cans also check the heatsink. Make sure it's making contact with the CPU. Usually there is thermal paste or thermal tape. If there is even a crack of air separating the two, the heatsink stops working and your system overheats.

It's overheating, we just need to figure out where it's happening.

-- Andy

I have just checked it. It seems to be in good contact with the CPU and the thermal paste has spread over it's centre as well. However, it is not as dense as before.

Have you actually checked the temperatures to see if it is overheating? Use a program such as HWMonitor. If your CPU or GPU temperature goes higher than 90 degrees C or so under load than that is most likely your problem.

Have you actually checked the temperatures to see if it is overheating? Use a program such as HWMonitor. If your CPU or GPU temperature goes higher than 90 degrees C or so under load than that is most likely your problem.

Yes I have used HWMonitor and my BIOS to check the temperatures. The CPU temp usually goes around 70°C so it is most likely overheating.

Have you tired running your system with the chassis open? See of that affects temperature. If it does, then a system fan as I outlined above may be the solution.

-- Andy

Have you checked your video card temps? 70 C, though high, should not be causing stability problems. Since you said it crashes during gaming, that makes it seem more likely that your GPU and not CPU is overheating or has some other problem.

Have you checked your video card temps? 70 C, though high, should not be causing stability problems. Since you said it crashes during gaming, that makes it seem more likely that your GPU and not CPU is overheating or has some other problem.

Yes, that's what I thought as well but the GPU temperatures are fine. GPU is usually below 35°C and the heatsink is cool when I touch it by hand while the FPS lag is occurring. The same can't be said for the CPU HS, though.

EDIT:

Have you tired running your system with the chassis open? See of that affects temperature. If it does, then a system fan as I outlined above may be the solution.

-- Andy

I usually run it with the case open since I had problems with temperature before. I will try to put it back on and see if there is any change. It has ran perfectly smoothly with the same fans before so I hate buying new fans for it.

Yes, that's what I thought as well but the GPU temperatures are fine. GPU is usually below 35°C and the heatsink is cool when I touch it by hand while the FPS lag is occurring. The same can't be said for the CPU HS, though.

Big hint here! If the overheating was the chamber not ventilating fast enough, the GPU would be hot as well. OK, so it looks like it's a heatsink problem.

How dusty is the inside chamber? How about the heatsink, anything foreign on it?

-- Andy

To isolate the CPU, try running Prime95 or Intel Burn Test. If it crashes or fails either test then you have a CPU related issue.

Big hint here! If the overheating was the chamber not ventilating fast enough, the GPU would be hot as well. OK, so it looks like it's a heatsink problem.

How dusty is the inside chamber? How about the heatsink, anything foreign on it?

-- Andy

Great. The case is pretty clean and the heatsink has been thoroughly cleaned my me several times this month, same goes for the fan.

To isolate the CPU, try running Prime95 or Intel Burn Test. If it crashes or fails either test then you have a CPU related issue.

Will do.

Let's revisit the thermal paste.

You can never have too much thermal paste. Better to ensure a thermal contact by adding more. hermal paste should never dry out. Check if the existing paste is still viscous. Still, let's add more thermal paste and ensure the heatsink and CPU are in thermal contact.

-- Andy

Let's revisit the thermal paste.

You can never have too much thermal paste. Better to ensure a thermal contact by adding more. hermal paste should never dry out. Check if the existing paste is still viscous. Still, let's add more thermal paste and ensure the heatsink and CPU are in thermal contact.

-- Andy

I just added more Thermal Paste and it did reduce the actually temperature to 66°C on boot. I will do a stress test now and see if there are any changes.

Also, I see 3 temperature values in HWMonitor:

TMPIN0 - 35°C - GPU
TMPIN1 - 46°C - Northbridge?
TMPIN2 - 66°C - CPU (I assume)

I did that Intel Burn test also. It increased the 2nd value to around 80°C and the 3rd one to 79°C but the PC didn't crash.

EDIT : I just tested L4D after applying Thermal Paste, it works!! Thanks Andy :), you saved me. Thanks Tehno for the feedback as well. Thanks a lot.

Make sure the heatsink fan is properly fastened to the heatsink.

Yeah, this is really stumping me. Maybe a system fan is the answer here.

-- Andy

Well, I assume that you didn't read my edit. I did that Intel Burn test before applying more thermal paste by the way.

Still, I don't like the idle CPU temp. It's too high. It shouldn't be higher than 50C. I wouldn't be suprised if your performance problem return in the near future. There is likely something more.

-- Andy

TMPIN0 - 35°C
TMPIN1 - 46°C
TMPIN2 - 66°C

These are the current ones. I will wait until tomorrow (when the paste spreads more and the motherboard cools off) and post the temps again. The third one is still a bit high, though.

The 2nd one dropped 20°C (15-20) actually and the third one dropped 5°C.

EDIT

Still, I don't like the idle CPU temp. It's too high. It shouldn't be higher than 50C. I wouldn't be suprised if your performance problem return in the near future. There is likely something more.

-- Andy

I am thinking the same. FPS rate increased drastically*, though.

2-3 years I would say. The temperature problems usually occur every 7-8 months, they are all caused by dust but this one.

I just re-read your posts and noticed you mentioned you run the system with the chassis open because you have had temp problems in the past.

The problem here is your cooling system in really inadequate. Add the system fan as I suggested earlier and that should help solve your problem.

-- Andy

I just re-read your posts and noticed you mentioned you run the system with the chassis open because you have had temp problems in the past.

The problem here is your cooling system in really inadequate. Add the system fan as I suggested earlier and that should help solve your problem.

-- Andy

Alright, I will. Thanks for the information and suggestions.

Now that I think it over, it's not unlike the problem my step-father had with his computer. As time goes on, all the programs get larger, more process intensive. That works the processor harder, generates more heat. You start experiencing overheating if your cooling system is not adequate. we added a system fan to his and it really worked!

-- Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back