P4 520 to p4 661?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mica3speedy

my mother-in-law has a Dell with a 2.8ghz p4. Since it has the p915 intel chipset, the fastest I can get it is a p4 661, 3.6ghz. I was wondering if it would even be worth doing for $90. It has 512mb in ram that is going to go to 2gb since ram is cheap. She won't be getting a new computer for 5+ years so I figure maxing it out the most I can will help it. Any suggestions as to upgrading the processor if it's worth it or not?

If she's definitely not going to be buying a new PC for 3-5 years, yeah, I'd go ahead and upgrade the CPU along with the RAM.

thanks for the input :cool: ! . It probably would be longer than that, however I would buy or make her something around then. I bought her that Dell as a thank you/birthday gift. Her previous computer was a 500mhz, 256mb dinosaur that she had until August of last year.

Well, this thing will be a fossil by the time 5+ years rolls around, but, for the average person that just uses the web/word processing it ought to be fine for a while at least.

Keep up with both software (keep it light on startup and free of malware) and hardware (keep it clean and dust free) maintenance and it should last a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back