Elon Musk is suing the law firm that forced him to buy Twitter

midian182

Staff member
Why it matters: Elon Musk must be pretty stressed right now. In between training for a possible cage fight with Mark Zuckerberg (or a literal "measuring" contest) and watching Twitter rival Threads become the fastest-growing app of all time, the world's richest man is suing the law firm that represented Twitter while he was trying to get out of the $44 billion buyout.

Musk's X Corp. filed suit against Wachtell, Lipton, Rosen, and Katz last week for allegedly overcharging Twitter in a $90 million "last minute" legal bill.

Wachtell represented Twitter while Musk was trying to renege on his offer to buy Twitter for $40 billion. It helped secure the deal in November 2022, for which it was paid a $90 million fee. A $84.3 million amount, the bulk of which was a "success fee," was paid on October 27, 2022, the day the merger closed.

X Corp's suit claims that charging this much money was an exploitative move on Wachtell's part, especially as it was for just a "few months" of the law firm's services. It also says the success fee was tacked on along with a $16 million invoice for hourly services for helping the company close the deal. As such, Musk's company is seeking to recoup the payment.

"Wachtell exploited a corporate client left unprotected by lame duck fiduciaries who had lost their motivation to act in Twitter's best interest pending its imminent sale to Elon Musk and his entities, X Holdings I, Inc. and X Holdings II, Inc," the lawsuit claims.

"Fully aware that nobody with an economic interest in Twitter's financial well-being was minding the store, Wachtell arranged to effectively line its pockets with funds from the company cash register while the keys were being handed over to the Musk Parties," the suit adds.

Twitter holding company X Corp now wants repayment of any associated excess fee payment and attorneys' fees associated with the cost of litigation.

According to court documents, former Twitter director and board member Martha Lane Fox expressed her horror at the fees in an email to the company's former general counsel Sean Edgett after he sent her a copy. "O My Freaking God," she wrote. The Twitter board did vote to approve the fee, though.

Wachtell is being accused in the suit of unjust enrichment, breach of fiduciary duty, aiding and abetting breach of fiduciary duty, and violations of California's Business & Professions Code.

Even if the court doesn't force Wachtell to hand back the entire fee, Musk says it should "be ordered to make restitution for the difference between the $90 million total fee it received and the reasonable fees it would have received had it adhered to the billing guidelines it agreed upon in the June 21 Engagement Letter."

Musk is no stranger to shirking bills. As per Insider, he's refused to pay rent for Twitter's offices, expenses of former employees, and invoices for Google Cloud services.

In related news, the ongoing will they, won't they cage match between Musk and Zuckerberg could turn into a literal genital-measuring contest after Musk, who has ten children, suggested the idea; he also called Zuckerberg a cuck. Twitter has already threatened to sue Meta over allegedly copying its IP for Threads, so things are more tense than ever between the baby billionaire and alleged Facebook lizard king.

Permalink to story.

Hope he wins .... by and large, law firms and lawyers are over paid by any normal persons standards. I have yet to meet the lawyer that is worth over $100 an hour and a law that REQUIRES every law firm to submit an itemized list of billings is far overdue .....

This article has all the spices for an entertaining news. Billionaires, rivalries, betrayals, extortion, bragging and sport contest. And tech, a lot of tech, because they are tech billionares :cool:
Billionaires should do this more often. Will keep them occupied and the rest entertained.

Last edited:
This is the sort of fiasco that fappens when your own big mouth comes back to bite you in the a**..

"I'll buy Twitter for 44 billion." ("So it is written, so shall it be done."** Oops).

Musky seems to be going through the "five stages of grief".
denial, anger, bargaining, depression. At present he's got four down and still the big hurdle to go, "acceptance".

** Quote by Yul Brenner as Ramesses in, "The Ten Commandments".

Last edited:
Elon is going to end up in straight jacket on Mars one day.
If his rockets actually get him there. They could crash on descent, not to mention that Elon said he would be on Mars by what? 2020? That's come and gone, but he keeps revising his date and trying to find the exact date that he said he would be on Mars by is challenging. This is SOP for Musk. Spout BS about when you will have something. BS remains true, but whatever it is he promised is nowhere to be seen.

Musk. What a man-boy. He could have jumped off the ship and said no. Instead he tries to blame the lawyers for his decision. :rolleyes: What a clown and a buffoon.
It seems that it is more than that. From what I read between the lines, Elon found out that, during the short period until Twitter was changing owners, this law firm which represented Twitter, has inflated the prices with that huge amount of money, during the old board, and was paid without Elon knowledge or consent. They screwed Elon intentionally, and now "poor" Elon is trying to get back the money. 1st lesson Elon learned from this is to not involve in any form with Wachtell, Lipton, Rosen, and Katz "law" firm. :cool:

It seems that it is more than that. From what I read between the lines, Elon found out that, during the short period until Twitter was changing owners, this law firm which represented Twitter, has inflated the prices with that huge amount of money, during the old board, and was paid without Elon knowledge or consent. They screwed Elon intentionally, and now "poor" Elon is trying to get back the money. 1st lesson Elon learned from this is to not involve in any form with Wachtell, Lipton, Rosen, and Katz "law" firm. :cool:

Without his consent ? Didn't he or his lawyers read a contract before sign it ? what a clown...Hope he's better as measuring his d**ck than ruling companies...

Without his consent ? Didn't he or his lawyers read a contract before sign it ? what a clown...Hope he's better as measuring his d**ck than ruling companies...
If it was so simple. The "law" firm inflated the prices, after the initial contract was approved by Twitter old board management. This is what Elon is contesting. The added inflated price sneakily made by this "law" firm with the complicity of the old board management, which both rallied to screw and sabotage Elon.

Last edited:
Are you sure this isn't a parody of the current trajectory of Twitter stock prices? Or perhaps it mirrors the steep decline of Twitter's ad revenues? :eek: :poop:
Parody not intended, I assure you. But its no surprise to me that Twitter's stock price is plummeting. Perhaps it presages other crashes for Musk, too. For instance, Toyota announced a solid-state battery due in 2027 or so, much lighter, much longer range. IMO, now that an adult is in the EV Market, Tesla should be really worried. Somehow, the name Edsel comes to mind when I think about Tesla. 🤣
If it was so simple. The "law" firm inflated the prices, after the initial contract was approved by Twitter old board management. This is what Elon is contesting. The added inflated price sneakily made by this "law" firm with the complicity of the old board management, which both rallied to screw and sabotage Elon.
I'm surprised he was so easily taken. Musk is supposed to be the World's foremost genius, then again, he bought Twitter. :laughing: So much for that billing. 🤣

Once again, there is no way a lawyer firm would adjust the bill without consent. The best bid is that nor elon, nor his lawyers have correctly read the fine prints in the contract (the same fine prints that elon use to deny claims about driverless cars accidents...)

So long for the genius, finally he's just a litlle crying boy who become mad because he cannot rule the world the way he intended.

Zuck launch a twitter killer app ? sue him. He think he was forced to buy twitter at an unfair price with a lawyers team taking a share in the transaction (a price fixed by himself)? sue them...

Parody not intended, I assure you. But its no surprise to me that Twitter's stock price is plummeting. Perhaps it presages other crashes for Musk, too. For instance, Toyota announced a solid-state battery due in 2027 or so, much lighter, much longer range. IMO, now that an adult is in the EV Market, Tesla should be really worried. Somehow, the name Edsel comes to mind when I think about Tesla. 🤣

I'm surprised he was so easily taken. Musk is supposed to be the World's foremost genius, then again, he bought Twitter. :laughing: So much for that billing. 🤣
Well this is the problem with most of the billionaires nowadays. They rather have more money than brain. Thus, all of these billionaires which already were prodigy since they were born, after a while, suddenly become geniuses, experts in vaccines, philanthropists etc and of course experts in computers and technology.

Last edited:
Man you tech sites really hate Elon Musk that much huh.
As I see it, Musk is vastly over-rated. Unfortunately, most people have not done enough research on Musk to know that. All people see is his money and think, Gee. He must be smart. Its a product of what is valued in mainstream society.

So many of you hate people, bcz they are ingenious and/or rich.
It's different if you inherited billions and are a louse, but when you make it yourself... then you really need to stop the hate, it has no basis. Your jealousy is showing.

Elon is going after the lawyers, bcz of illegitimate console & advice..! (Namely stemming from Twitter's fake/dupe accounts)

Not because he regrets buying Twitter.
Elon has already said that buying Twitter was one of the best things he's ever done, bcz it was for Humanity. Nobody can stand a place that has adolescent posters shouting in your face some rant they heard 4-days ago (on group-think TV), trying to shut down any conversation and calling anyone who disagree with their ideas as racist, or bigot, etc..

That ovr hyped noise^ just didnt mirror America's thoughts, nor was it a legit "Town Square" with all the paid-for SJW censoring people until it became a echo-chamber of paid operatives with many accounts..

Twitter 2.0 is non of that^ and turning a profit for the first time in 8 years. Elon is for free speech and that makes him gold!
4d4a0291d1ff0295bbbdf95a0cc0272e43868a4590be81905adeb51b21a47072.jpg

Sounds to me like Wachtell, etc. did great for their clients, the former owners of Twitter. Closing a sale at $44 billion was an excellent result for them. Compared to the huge premium received vs. what it was probably actually worth, the $90 million bonus is peanuts.

Not their fault if the buyer who made this all happen now has remorse. He could have avoided all this simply by not offering an unignorable price for a company he didn't really want.

So many of you hate people, bcz they are ingenious and/or rich.
It's different if you inherited billions and are a louse, but when you make it yourself... then you really need to stop the hate, it has no basis. Your jealousy is showing.

Elon is going after the lawyers, bcz of illegitimate console & advice..! (Namely stemming from Twitter's fake/dupe accounts)

Not because he regrets buying Twitter.
Elon has already said that buying Twitter was one of the best things he's ever done, bcz it was for Humanity. Nobody can stand a place that has adolescent posters shouting in your face some rant they heard 4-days ago (on group-think TV), trying to shut down any conversation and calling anyone who disagree with their ideas as racist, or bigot, etc..

That ovr hyped noise^ just didnt mirror America's thoughts, nor was it a legit "Town Square" with all the paid-for SJW censoring people until it became a echo-chamber of paid operatives with many accounts..

Twitter 2.0 is non of that^ and turning a profit for the first time in 8 years. Elon is for free speech and that makes him gold!
4d4a0291d1ff0295bbbdf95a0cc0272e43868a4590be81905adeb51b21a47072.jpg
Please spare me this tripe, and I think I speak far a great many members here when I ask that of you.

Back