P5N-D RAM problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adhmuz

I'll keep this short. I just got in 2x2GB DDR2 of Corsair Dominator series 1066MHz RAM, I stuck it in my board set all the timings, the voltages and to my disappointment I get a endless beep sound from my PC. No BIOS nothing, I reset and re-enter the BIOS and just can't get the RAM to boot at its labeled speed. Any help at all will be appreciated, thanks.

EDIT, I fixed that problem but now I have a new one, windows crashes due to hardware failure as soon as I try to over clock my CPU to 3.0 GHz, any ideas.

Try raising the voltage on the HT and NB to 1.3v and the 1.5v for the southbridge. Also, make sure you have the FSB and dRAM speeds unlinked. The P5N-D is intended to run RAM modules at 800mhz, so if you are using memory rated at 1066mhz, and try to overclock, things could get very unstable. I was able to overclock my Q6600 to 3.0ghz with a 1.25 vcore on this board so you should be able to do the same.

Well it dies show improvement but now once windows has loaded the desktop and I can almost start to use the computer it just crashes, no BSOD just black then the system starts up as if it has just been turned on, windows must be detecting an error that it doesn't want to share with me...

If you had a stick or two of DDR2 PC6400 (800mhz) memory modules I would try them to see if the computer boots up normally. Have you been able to get the system to boot up correctly at all, without aany overclock? If not, it's probably because of the memory you are using...

I should have specified, it boots no problem when I set the RAM to its correct values and do not overclock my CPU, the RAM is running great its just when I try to overclock the CPU it loads windows, I can log in and all my background apps load but as soon as I click on something it dies this is when overclocked to 3.0GHz with your specified voltages. But when not overclocked it has no problems. I'm just going to have to settle until I buy a new mother board, its a shame I haven't even had this one a year...

Well, to tell you the truth, I haven't noticed that much of a difference with the Q6600 @ 3ghz as opposed to the stock 2.4ghz, other than temps and slightly better scores in benchies. If you are really bent on overclocking this chip, a p35/45 Intel chipset or the x48 would be ideal. The P5N-D is supposed to overclock quads well but an Intel board would be much better. Sorry it didn't work out for you, I thought for sure those settings would work. The board is fortified with solid stage caps so it's weird that it wont take the overclock. Have you tried disabling C1E on the cpu?

Adhmuz, did u raise u're voltage on the cpu and by how much, some times raising it a little more can help a bunch.

I set it at 1.25v but when it does get to the OS I notice the voltage is really at 1.2 even as low as 1.15 maybe raising it a little more would help, I'll give it a try, can't hurt now can it. I'm still not satisfied with the motherboard in general being an nVidia chip i was expecting it to automatically recognize the RAM I bough with the EPP settings but had to manually put that in which was a major pain to get running right, the only thing so far that has worked perfectly is SLI something which has surely come a very long way since it was introduced along with overclocking my graphics card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back