P5nsli

Status
Not open for further replies.

MetalX

Is the ASUS P5NSLI a good mobo for overclocking? I was just wondering as I was planning to get one in my new computer, which will be:

Pentium 4 3.0GHz HT
ASUS P5NSLI (if it is a good overclocker)
7900GT or X1900GT, I can't decide, anyone know which is better?
1GB DDR2 667
160GB SATA
Antec Sonata II case and PSU

So I guess I am asking two questions, 1) Is the ASUS P5NSLI a good overclocking mobo, and 2) Which is better, a 7900GT or an X1900GT?

Pretty good

I am currently testing Vista RC1 on a P5NSLI, with a Pentium D 945. Plenty of OC options. With the processor you mention, I'm sure it will be enough board. However, if you are going to OC that processor, be sure to get a really good aftermarket HSF.

It's a pretty warm CPU as it is, and OC'ing will exacerbate that. I have a P4 940, and had to put a Thermalright XP 90c copper ingot on it to keep it cool. There are many others; Freezer7 Pro among them.

I am not an authority on vid cards; I have a 7900GT on the P5N- it performs quite well. Have never tried the upper-end ATI's, so cannot offer advice there.

I think the mobo will meet your needs, though.:D

Ok, thanks... so the motherboard has PCI lock and RAM timings and Vcore and ram voltage and all that stuff? I just want to be sure it can REALLY overclock well before I buy it because later on if I get a Core 2 I wana push it really far.

Here's what-

From the mobo manual:
DRAM Voltage- +1.8V, +1.9V, +2.0V, +2.1V
Chipset Core Voltage- +1.4V or +1.5V
CPU Termination Voltage- 1.25V, 1.35V
VCore Voltage- from 1.600V down through 0.8375V with 60 settings between
CPU Clock Ratio-6X, 7X, 8X, 9X

You can download the manual here: http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us

I am not much of an overclocker, though I do so sometimes to learn a little more, but this mobo has more options than I need to explore.:wave:

Oh, ok thanks thats all I wanted it to have, looks like I'm gonna have one soon... hopefully.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back