TechSpot

P5nsli

By MetalX
Nov 7, 2006
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Is the ASUS P5NSLI a good mobo for overclocking? I was just wondering as I was planning to get one in my new computer, which will be:

Pentium 4 3.0GHz HT
    ASUS P5NSLI (if it is a good overclocker)
    7900GT or X1900GT, I can't decide, anyone know which is better?
    1GB DDR2 667
    160GB SATA
    Antec Sonata II case and PSU

So I guess I am asking two questions, 1) Is the ASUS P5NSLI a good overclocking mobo, and 2) Which is better, a 7900GT or an X1900GT?

2. hewybo

hewybo TS Maniac Posts: 570

Pretty good

I am currently testing Vista RC1 on a P5NSLI, with a Pentium D 945. Plenty of OC options. With the processor you mention, I'm sure it will be enough board. However, if you are going to OC that processor, be sure to get a really good aftermarket HSF.

It's a pretty warm CPU as it is, and OC'ing will exacerbate that. I have a P4 940, and had to put a Thermalright XP 90c copper ingot on it to keep it cool. There are many others; Freezer7 Pro among them.

I am not an authority on vid cards; I have a 7900GT on the P5N- it performs quite well. Have never tried the upper-end ATI's, so cannot offer advice there.

I think the mobo will meet your needs, though.:D

3. MetalX

MetalX TechSpot Chancellor Topic Starter Posts: 1,909

Ok, thanks... so the motherboard has PCI lock and RAM timings and Vcore and ram voltage and all that stuff? I just want to be sure it can REALLY overclock well before I buy it because later on if I get a Core 2 I wana push it really far.

4. hewybo

hewybo TS Maniac Posts: 570

Here's what-

From the mobo manual:
    DRAM Voltage- +1.8V, +1.9V, +2.0V, +2.1V
    Chipset Core Voltage- +1.4V or +1.5V
    CPU Termination Voltage- 1.25V, 1.35V
    VCore Voltage- from 1.600V down through 0.8375V with 60 settings between
    CPU Clock Ratio-6X, 7X, 8X, 9X

You can download the manual here: http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us

I am not much of an overclocker, though I do so sometimes to learn a little more, but this mobo has more options than I need to explore.:wave:

5. MetalX

MetalX TechSpot Chancellor Topic Starter Posts: 1,909

Oh, ok thanks thats all I wanted it to have, looks like I'm gonna have one soon... hopefully.

6. wolfram

wolfram TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,605   +9

You're gonna have it soon? What about your Core 2 Duo PC :confused:?

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.