TechSpot

Packaging for Apple's budget 'iPhone 5C' hits the web

By Shawn Knight
Jul 28, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. This is typically the time of year when iPhone rumors start heating up and it seems that 2013 is no exception. An image recently posted on a Chinese discussion board allegedly shows a bin full of plastic packaging for what...

Read more

2. I doubt that Apple will bring this to the US market. If so it would be a stupid move. The expensive version is selling extremely well, with a cheaper version they may sell even more but make less money.

Bringing this model to markets like China or India would make sense but may also harm the iPhone brand as something special and luxurious.

3. mario

mario Ex-TS Developer Posts: 399   +17

"Purported..."

4. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,116   +722

Well.. a few days ago we saw Apple report their financials to the world and we saw that they're not making as much on each iPhone as they used to. One of the reasons is because citizens of China are buying older models because they can't afford the full priced ones. That fueled the rumor that there would soon be a lower priced new iPhone model. Now we see a box with a C on it, and C is for COOKIE! I mean, China. I think the story is right... This is the box for their lower priced new iPhone that they'll sell in China.

And seriously... we used to only have these rumor stories when actual pictures of a phone leaked out... now we're doing it for the box?

5. Julio Franco

Julio Franco TechSpot Editor Posts: 6,565   +329

Hmm, who knows. Apple may be feeling the heat from Android devices that can innovate faster while offering very competitive smartphones at lower price points. It wouldn't be the first time they take this approach. Now, knowing Apple, if they go with the cheaper iPhone route, for sure it won't feel cheap, so the naming convention doesn't sound too convincing: iPhone C -- is 'C' for cheap, China, cost-effective, color?

6. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 7,018   +912

5C does not sound too good. I do not think this whole budget iPhone rumor is true. Older devices like the iPhone 4 and 4S (which are probably higher specced than this "budget" phone) are half price or even free.

7. ghasmanjr

ghasmanjr TS Booster Posts: 363   +86

My guess is the iPhone 5c = "compact" since they've been claiming that they will make a smaller, toned-down budget model to be released alongside the iPhone 5s

JC713 likes this.
  8. What does the "C" stand for? nothing, of course. what does the "S" in "3S" or "4S" mean. nothing officially. so the same goes with "C".

9. Emexrulsier

Emexrulsier TS Enthusiast Posts: 222   +6

Or the C could stand for "Cheap, Crap, Crud, Cocaine, Cabbage" What ever the phone is still an iphone and will only be bought my isheep.

10. fimbles

fimbles TS Evangelist Posts: 1,273   +151

Im going with compact.

An iphone mini if you will :p

11. hitech0101

hitech0101 TS Enthusiast Posts: 429   +19

A budget phone from apple will still expensive then other similar phones in the market.

12. MannerMauler

MannerMauler TS Member Posts: 24

Copyright?

H3llion likes this.
  13. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 7,018   +912

I think in 3S, the S stood for Speed. For the 4S, S stood for Siri. I think that was official.

14. Rasta211

Rasta211 TS Enthusiast Posts: 195   +24

I got it! The 'C' means China! an iPhone for China!

15. dennis777

dennis777 TS Enthusiast Posts: 281   +32

C is for china...
    "God created the world in seven days", the rest is "Made in China"

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.