Page fault in non paged area BSOD

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sure this comes up all the time. I'm working on a Dell OptiPlex 280:

XP Pro SP3
512MB RAM
On board video, sound, etc

I've included the minidump files. I've tried swapping the RAM with new RAM, uninstalling programs, SCANDISK, virus scan, spyware scan, several different Run commands, and a couple other things to no avail.

I get the error when trying to install GroupWise 8, .NET, running a reg cleaner, and Windows Updates. So I'm at a lost now.

As far as I know, no new hardware was installed and the only new piece of software (that was attempted to install) was GW8 client. Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.

-Alex

I read five of your dumps dated from today and all five are 0x50:pAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
Requested data was not in memory. An invalid system memory address was referenced. Defective memory (including main memory, L2 RAM cache, video RAM) or incompatible software (including remote control and antivirus software) might cause this Stop message, as may other hardware problems (e.g., incorrect SCSI termination or a flawed PCI card).

All dumps only cited Windows drivers and these are too general to be of much help. However, that also cited under Process_Name the Windows driver msiexec.sys.

Read this link and description of its function: http://www.liutilities.com/products/wintaskspro/processlibrary/msiexec/

If this OS driver is corrupted it would help explain why you are having such problems when trying to install GroupWise 8, etc.

Do you have the disks that would allow you to do a Windows repair?

Tried running that Registry Booster, but got the error. Tried installing a newer version of the Windows Installer (4.5) and was able to, but it didn't seem to help any.

Tried running the registry repair scans and got the error again.

Ran a complete hardware scan outside of Windows and it came back fine.

I've included the minidump files from this morning. Should I try reinstalling XP Pro over the current install? Or can I fix smething via the Repair Console on the XP boot disk?

Thanks again for your help.

-Alex

Thanks for the suggestion, but that didn't work either. When running the Registry Repair scan, I was able to figure what causes the error to come up: File Associations. When I start a Registry Repair scan and only select "File Associations", I get the error almost immediately.

I Googled a few things to try and fix that but nothing worked. I've included the minidump files from my laest endeavors.

If there's nothing more I can do, I guess I'll just back up what I can and format the HDD.

-Alex

All are like before and msiexec.exe was listed in all.

If you haven't run ChkDsk or ChkDsk /r or ChkDsk / f. Back up everything.

Can you do a Windows repair? Back up and see if that works. Again, I am wondering if msiexec.exe is corrupted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back